How much HP will a Chrysler manual 3 speed trans take before it breaks???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 09:41 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

How much HP will a Chrysler manual 3 speed trans take before it breaks????

I have a new project and need some information from the Mopar gurus. I bought a 73 Dart on Ebay that has a slant six and a 3 speed manual trans on the floor. My plan is to sell my 72 Dart and take the money off of it and invest it into a 360 for the 73 Dart. The 360 isn't going to be too radical, flat top pistons, Edelebrock RPM Intake, headers and a cam, etc..... So will a Chrysler 3 speed manual trans hold up to a fairly healthy 300-320HP engine. I have also located a 8 1/4" rearend out of a 73 Skamp that will also go into this 73 Dart. So is this trans going to hold up or will it scatter itself all over the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7a_3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	9884   Click image for larger version

Name:	c7_3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	9885  

Advertisement

Last edited by onebadmerc; 02-06-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 11:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
I have a new project and need some information from the Mopar gurus. I bought a 73 Dart on Ebay that has a slant six and a 3 speed manual trans on the floor. My plan is to sell my 72 Dart and take the money off of it and invest it into a 360 for the 73 Dart. The 360 isn't going to be too radical, flat top pistons, Edelebrock RPM Intake, headers and a cam, etc..... So will a Chrysler 3 speed manual trans hold up to a fairly healthy 300-320HP engine. I have also located a 8 1/4" rearend out of a 73 Skamp that will also go into this 73 Dart. So is this trans going to hold up or will it scatter itself all over the road.

I would think it would depend on the ability of the car to hook-up , If it spins the tires it probably would last , If it don't spin then the weak links will break.
I never did use the 3 speed , My old Hemi car (67 Belvedere) had the 4-speed.
But I am sure there will be some Chrysler people that will put a light on it for you>
Old 02-09-2006, 12:53 PM

Well this is showing my age now LOL. Back in the late 70's my brother had a 70 Challenger that had a 340 in it with a 3 speed. I used to scare him to death in that car as it had a tendency to turn around in the road in second gear at close to 5500 powershifts. He went through about four clutches in that car in a year and a half that he owned it, one I put in and paid for because he didn't have the money to do it. Trans held up fine along with the factory shifter. The 340 had a Racer Brown cam, Carter Thermoquad, and Hooker headers with if memory serves me correct a 3.23 gear. You should be find with the three speed but I would recommend trying to find a four speed later on as it would definitely be stronger.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

best info i can get you is to go to www.bigblockdart.com and look up Jim Lusk. He is very smart about the chrysler tech issues. Tell him AA-alingshot sent ya!

please dont get upset about the other websight.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:46 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

" Well this is showing my age now LOL. Back in the late 70's my brother had a 70 Challenger that had a 340 in it with a 3 speed. I used to scare him to death in that car as it had a tendency to turn around in the road in second gear at close to 5500 powershifts. He went through about four clutches in that car in a year and a half that he owned it, one I put in and paid for because he didn't have the money to do it. Trans held up fine along with the factory shifter. The 340 had a Racer Brown cam, Carter Thermoquad, and Hooker headers with if memory serves me correct a 3.23 gear. You should be find with the three speed but I would recommend trying to find a four speed later on as it would definitely be stronger."

hearing that reminded me of when my dad would tell me about his duster. It had a 340 with a 3 speed and a thermaquad. in fact it had a 1250 thermaquad from a boat. He said it would run 11's witha 4.11 and slicks. He cant find any pictures of it now because my mom threw them away because they had his girlfriend at the time posing with it.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.