How much HP will I make - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2004, 06:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

gt2betubbed thanks for the suggestion , what do you think I should put together knowing I have a 350 sbc .060 over & a 750 Holley what , cam , heads, & intake would you put on it ,,,,,to get some good HP,,, you know the chevy's have to put those stangs in there place

it will be a fri sat night ride but I want to punch at times & turn some heads & be noticed ,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2004, 09:39 PM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:

If you are running 11:1 compression you need to run a pretty big cam to take advantage of it. Crane Energizer cam and lifter kits are one of the best values you will ever find, Summit has the cam and lifter kits for $99. There are several different models avaliable, I would probably run the one with .500 lift.. Yes it's pretty big but made engines with higher compression and would fit yours very good, A friend of myn is running this cam in a 355 almost like yours and it's radical. I see you are not building a daily driver so streetability isn't a huge factor.. I know guys running 14:1 race 434 small blocks on the street, hell no they arn't streetable but who cares.. For heads the Iron Eagles wouldn't be too bad at all, but if you have money some AFR 190's would be great. Edelbrock Victor Jr is probably one of the best intakes you can get for a small block chevy.. That's what I'd run.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Ok, I'm no engine building guru, but this is what I would do. Since this is really a weekend cruiser and not a track car, first thing to do is loose the spool (very important, if you ask me). With the heads, I would just go cheap. Like a good stock casting that's a little worked over. Definatly a single plane intake (what ever mfgr you want). As for the cam, leave that up to the pro's. I don't think you need to go roller, just a regular cam with hydro lifters would do. Crane or comp will take all your info and set you up with the best cam for your setup, just let em know that you want it to rump as well. With this set up, it's cheap and would make that light car move pretty good. Just add a nice loud exhaust and you'll be turning heads no problem.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

With a rear end of 4:56 tied to a th350 you'll be passed by granny on the beltway. Should'nt you try maybe 3.23's?

Good choise on the intake with that cam.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:03 PM

Last photo:

Just a couple of comments/questions...why the single plane intake (2500-6000)? I think you mentioned it in a previous post, that the bottom end will suffer, and the motor will take some high RPM's to come to life. For street use, would a dual plane not be a better bet? I remember when I went to a single plane on my old coupe...the bottom end bog drove me nuts. I switched back.
I am also at a bit of a loss about running the higher octane fuels. You may end up losing power with the hi-octane slow burning fuels. I would save those for your 13/1 C/R's or when adding N2O or other power adders.
Lastly ...I am jealous of someone that has 75 sponsors Alaskan, or did you mean contingency stickers on the car? And you have to have the product on the car for which you carry a sticker...

Ron
Old 03-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Well, I say the single because with the cam being fairly big, and the compression being on the high side, it doesn't make sense to me to have an intake that would try to perform in the lower r's when the rest of the motor won't. I see what you are saying, but like I said, I'm no guru. As for the high octane, 11:1 comp is pretty high, and it would be best to run something better than just the regular 91 (that's as high as I can get here in Sacramento).
Old 03-17-2004, 10:37 AM

you are not making 400 hp i can assure you that.
if you wanna know go dyno it.

c is for cookie
Old 03-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally posted by cookie monster
you are not making 400 hp i can assure you that.
if you wanna know go dyno it.

c is for cookie
I disagree. I'm positive he's making 400.

K
Old 03-17-2004, 12:20 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

T is for Troll
If Chevy High Performance Mag. can make 390 horses with a XE268H cam, stock Vortec heads, and 9:5 compression you can definitely make well into the 400's with your set up.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by red347
Just a couple of comments/questions...why the single plane intake (2500-6000)? I think you mentioned it in a previous post, that the bottom end will suffer, and the motor will take some high RPM's to come to life. For street use, would a dual plane not be a better bet? I remember when I went to a single plane on my old coupe...the bottom end bog drove me nuts. I switched back.
I am also at a bit of a loss about running the higher octane fuels. You may end up losing power with the hi-octane slow burning fuels. I would save those for your 13/1 C/R's or when adding N2O or other power adders.
Lastly ...I am jealous of someone that has 75 sponsors Alaskan, or did you mean contingency stickers on the car? And you have to have the product on the car for which you carry a sticker..\

HI RED------NO I THINK I SAID IT PLAIN AN HONEST ENOUGH;;;AND THERE WAS ALSO A OFFER TO HELP BEHIND IT....

The bear project----75 sponsers---26.000 stright miles driven----watch this fall for the articles on this amazing suburban 4x4 hotrod and the products tested........a one of a kind 3 year project.....and watch for new engine build---ALUMINUM BEAR---IN SPRING OF 05----

Ron
Old 03-18-2004, 04:04 AM
Dream as if you'll live 4ever

Last photo:

Maybe this will help

http://www.virtualengine2000.com/

Rodrunner
Old 03-21-2004, 05:36 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I know ALASKAN and he knows about sponsors, so no need to bash him for his accomplishments in life.
He has and knows what he is talking about.
Enough said.
George

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.