How much for a nice paint job? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2004, 09:13 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
The point is, out in the midwest where things aren't so twisted as they are here, you CAN get one of those "$50,000" jobs for a realistic price.

Just like the prices of property are blown way out of proportion, so are the prices for things like these high dollar cars.

There are PLENTY of cars being built in home garages and small shops all over the country that will compete side by side with the "big boys" for a fraction of the cost.

Heck, like I said my brothers car, it competed with that quarter million dollar car. In fact, it got more attention from some magazines than the winner. How much it cost has NOTHING to do with how well it is detailed. Oh, and by the way, it has about 20,000 miles on it now, so it is driven.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2004, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by MARTINSR
First off, I didn't say a "$100,000 paint job", I said "For your typical restoration" $50,000 to $100,000 is common. I am talking restoration where the car is disassembled, body panels replaced, chroming done, etc. That kind of money is common. The paint jobs Barry is talking about aren't too common, but do exist, you bet your life.

The car that won top honors in the first show my brother showed his Roadster had a $65,000 paint job, just the paint, sixty five thousand dollars. Heck, he had more in the display his car sat in than my brother had in his whole car! That was ten years ago.
Don't feel bad, I just reread my post and it was a total Restoration post not paint job. I was not clear either.
I was trying to say in barrybonics "that the way GMW is doing his car would cost"
bwk
Old 12-21-2004, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

paint job

I had my 67 camaro painted with a 2 stage paint job (base,clear) car was already primered and I had alittle miner body work like straightening body lines some very small dents and i had a bumble bee stripe painted It turned out extremely nice in my eyes its no show winner but for about 3200 bucks it turned out nice even after my painter showed me all kinds of stuff you wouldnt see unless you actually paint cars i was still impressed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	3411  
Old 12-21-2004, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

I'm starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel. I'm hoping that my painting of the engine compt, inteiror and trunk along with pulling all the mouldings/chrome along with all the glass will shave some hours and thus allow me to spend a bit more on whats left. I will push for the hood and trunk lid to be pulled for proper shooting and the doors? I don't know, they seem a lot harder to remove.
I'm just excited my paint supplier will custom mix 3oz at a time so I can fine tune what I really want. They will put me in the computer and I get to name the mix! Hey hey....maybe I'm just too easy to please but after owning this car for 24 years and looking at the pain I shot myself 23 years ago I'm pretty worked up over starting the "final" scheme....

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.