How much Oil? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 03:47 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How much Oil?

I'm worried I don't have enough oil right now. I'm running 8 quarts in my 383.

5 quarts for SBC
2 quarts for dual remote filters and about 6' of lines (PH8 filters)
1 quart for remote oil cooler in radiator (this is where I may be short)

The stock 928 5L engine used 9 quarts with out the dual filters, so I'm worried I may now be short. I don't want to run a bearing dry in a hard turn.

Problem I have is my oil pan is not stock in order to fit over the 928 cross member. I can't just fill it and then mark the dipstick with a new reference until I know how much I should really have.

If my dipstick is in all the way, would the full mark still apply since my pan is deeper at the pump end? ie as long as the level is low enough to not cause windage, it'll be okay.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

I wouldn't compare the 928 eng. to the sbc, my V-6 BMW carried 6.6 qrts and most sbc are 5. What is your oil pressure?
Old 09-18-2010, 04:20 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark928
I'm worried I don't have enough oil right now. I'm running 8 quarts in my 383.

5 quarts for SBC
2 quarts for dual remote filters and about 6' of lines (PH8 filters)
1 quart for remote oil cooler in radiator (this is where I may be short)

The stock 928 5L engine used 9 quarts with out the dual filters, so I'm worried I may now be short. I don't want to run a bearing dry in a hard turn.

Problem I have is my oil pan is not stock in order to fit over the 928 cross member. I can't just fill it and then mark the dipstick with a new reference until I know how much I should really have.

If my dipstick is in all the way, would the full mark still apply since my pan is deeper at the pump end? ie as long as the level is low enough to not cause windage, it'll be okay.

Thanks in advance!
If your pan is designed correctly- w/the proper baffles and/or trapdoors, etc., along w/the correctly placed and designed pick up, you not only have enough oil- but it could be argued you have too much oil- if the sump is full to where it would have been, had an OEM pan been used.

What I'm saying is, often a deep sump pan isn't filled to capacity. Instead, it's used to lower the oil level down away from the reciprocating/rotating parts. This reduced windage losses and helps to keep from aerating the oil.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:27 PM
WFO

Last photo:

I would call the level correct in the pan when you have at least 4-5 quarts in the pan, along w/all the oil that it takes to fill the filter and lines. By your figures, this equals 8 quarts- and I would say that's about right.

Remember that the OEM amount of 5 qts. is WITH the filter, 4 quarts in the pan and 1 for the filter. So at 8 qts, you are actually filling the sump w/about an extra quart. Which I have zero problem with, as long as the sump is deeper than the OEM pan.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:37 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Thanks!

I'm just paranoid about the little things. My 3 week project to swap out engines started last October. That's a lot of time chipping away to forget simple steps.

Lots of idiot checking this weekend before I take a longer road trip.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:53 PM
More for Less Racer

You could add a smart bit of insurance if you added an oil accumulator tank, it would cover the "gap" should the pick-up ever get uncovered in a corner. Using one is pretty much standard practice on a road course car, Canton and Moroso make them, and there may be others.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:01 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
You could add a smart bit of insurance if you added an oil accumulator tank, it would cover the "gap" should the pick-up ever get uncovered in a corner. Using one is pretty much standard practice on a road course car, Canton and Moroso make them, and there may be others.

I have an accusump I still have to hook up. Short of a dry sump it's the next best thing. I'm going to put it before the filters. I just need to order the solenoid. Before I took it off the valve was in the engine compartment and a PITA to start the car then open the valve, close the valve stop the car. I want a switch inside this time. Plus that way I can crack it open as I'm starting the car for a prelube.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:10 PM
WFO

Last photo:

This is sort of OT, but I had occasion to work on a Tempest that had one of the "1/2 of a 389" Trophy 4 engines in it. He had an aftermarket electric oil pump that came on w/the key to bring up the oil pressure, and would run for a preset time after shutdown.

Worked OK it seemed- but it was LOUD! I don't know if it was all in the way it was mounted, but it could be heard over the radio, the engine, heck- a semi running next to it wouldn't drown it out.

Judging by IT, Accusump for me, too.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.