How much paint? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 08:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How much paint?

Hi guys, I'am going to paint my truck soon and I'am not sure how much paint to get. Its a 1951 GMC long bed pickup. This is a first time base coat/ clear coat for me and I'am using Chroma Base. If I were to use laquer I figure about two gallons cut to four sprayable. But thanks to a little education from this site and the guys on it I know better now. But this first time out I don't want to get caught short on material inthe middle of the job. I know there are a lot of variables in this question, but I just need a ball park answer. How much base and how much clear? Thanks Pete

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 09:32 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

As I am in the process of painting a 54 Chevy 1/2 ton I can give you a very close estimate of the amount of base coat you will need to do the job based on the following factors;

2 gallons (reduced) will be needed it you are painting three coats on the following panels:
Interior, inner fenders, full cab, outside surface of hood, front fenders, running boards, rear fenders, bed front panel, tailgate, bed sides, bumpers, radiator shroud, grill, doors, front splash apron, side splash aprons, and various rods/brackets/seat frame.

Two gallons of clear will also be needed.

These trucks need lots of paint due to the fact some panels get it on both sides.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Houston sounds like he is in the ballpark. But, there is another key factor I notice. The dreaded Chroma base , that's probably the worst covering base-coat on the market. So, depending on the color you choose, you could easily need to double (or more) Houston's estimate!
Good Luck!
Old 10-21-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colormecrazy
Houston sounds like he is in the ballpark. But, there is another key factor I notice. The dreaded Chroma base , that's probably the worst covering base-coat on the market. So, depending on the color you choose, you could easily need to double (or more) Houston's estimate!
Good Luck!
While not the best....I wouldn't call it the worst. I've found the key to shooting Chroma is if you think you already coated that spot....go ahead and hit it again. Also, for jambs and such, don't worry about shooting a stream....fan it out and be sure to cross it.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:05 AM

how much paint

.Wow !! thanks guys didn't think the coverage would be that bad. I better rethink my plan a little. I'am doing a light heavy metalic blue, alot like pontiac engine blue up to the belt and then a dark again heavy metalic blue for the top and sun visor over Nason 421 2k which is light to medium gray. I hope this HVLP gun saves a little on material. Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 06:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I guess that my ChromaBase paint will fall off my car - not. I'm in the process of finishing my AVATAR pictured car and am using ChromaBase Valencia Orange. If there is a screw up it's mine. I have a tendency to hammer it on too heavy - so probably have a total of 3 coats, 1 fairly dry binder, a medium wet, then a full wet. I had one minor run, again, my fault as I was "filling in" a place that I had just dug a bug out of the previous coat and was a bit too generous. This is one component - with DuPont HC 7600 clear (the body proper will have SPI Universal Clear), my gas tank, and has not been buffed at all.

Dave

PS: This is my first with the "new" paints, my last being DuPont SS Centari about 15 years ago. I'm using an Iwata gun for BC/CC which will move you beyond amateur status quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	25033  
Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 AM

How much paint

Looks good Dave ! the blue I'am shooting for is about the same shade. It dosn't sound like you had any coverage problems. Did you use the value shade that goes with the Chroma?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1
Looks good Dave ! the blue I'am shooting for is about the same shade. It dosn't sound like you had any coverage problems. Did you use the value shade that goes with the Chroma?
So far the only coverage problems have been of my making - but that has only been the one time(so far!!).

As far as Value Shade - that really wouldn't help the orange that I'm using as it is not one of the new semi-transparent paints that benefit from a base-base coat. The only undercoating that I'm making sure of is that I use close to the same shade of gray primers for consistant final color.

Post a picture when you can.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:22 PM

how much paint?

Dave, it will be a while before a can get photos up on the computer, but houston54 is about at the same point in his project that I'am in mine if you look at his photos its like looking at mine. The man has exellent taste in old iron and his truck looks good with or with out paint. I'am starting to get the feeling that the value shade under the Chroma is more of a value for dupont than for me. The nason 2k 421 I'll finish in dosn't look much darker or lighter than the value shade that goes with the light blue I've picked out. thanks Pete
Old 10-22-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1
Dave, it will be a while before a can get photos up on the computer, but houston54 is about at the same point in his project that I'am in mine if you look at his photos its like looking at mine. The man has exellent taste in old iron and his truck looks good with or with out paint. I'am starting to get the feeling that the value shade under the Chroma is more of a value for dupont than for me. The nason 2k 421 I'll finish in dosn't look much darker or lighter than the value shade that goes with the light blue I've picked out. thanks Pete
Pete,
Take a look at the paint chart and it should tell you if Value Shade is for your paint. If it is partly transparent it probably is - but if it is a standard solid color, possibly not. DuPont makes good products, it's just that for a custom paint job, some don't make sense. Actually - my biggest problem with DuPont is that a bunch of their cost are from their mega buck sponsorship of Jeff Gordon and the fact that they are passed to paint buyers(advertising)

As a suggestion, take a look at Nason undercoats. Some, like their epoxy are very good but need to be top coated within 7 days or you do another coat AFTER sanding again. Other parts of their product line - well let's just say that there are probably better choices. You'll see through this forum a lot of references to SPI (Southern Polyurethanes). The epoxy is excellant and can be used as an etch sanding primer, the 2Ks are also good. What is really great is their Universal Clearcoat. I've done some components of my car with DuPont HC 7600 clear and it is very good. I've just done some with the SPI Universal CC - and it is so much better - and is cheaper - by a lot. The only problem that I have with it is that I have to mail order from Baker PBE, (something I may need to do tomorrow).

And this is just a hobby for me!!

I'll be looking for your photos eventually
Dave
Old 10-23-2007, 11:33 AM

how much Paint?

Thanks Dave, I'll check the recoat windo on that nasson and I keep reading good things about spi. When it comes time I'll take a closer look at the value shade,but with my colors I think I'll have a nice surface with the nason 421-19 urethane. Pete

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.