How much paint? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 05:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How much paint?

I am doing the body work on a 4 door 39 chevy sedan. This is my first street rod. I want to do it right and not just slap some tractor paint on it. I am planning on using a base coat/ clear coat paint. I am planning on painting the car a bright yellow, when I pick one out. I know I need expoxy primer because i am getting the car media blasted and will have bare metal. I will need some primer. This is one I am kinda wondering about. I have been told by two different painters, who both do good work, two different things. One says to use both urethane and polyester primer. The other says just use urethane and seal with thinned epoxy, so i'm not sure which way to go there. I will also need some base coat. I am not planning on using any metal flake or pearl, but just a solid color. I thought using a solid color would make any future repairs a little easier to match the paint. The body should be pretty straight when i am through. I am cutting out any rust and make patch panel or buying them. I am in not any hurry so I will take time to do all the right sanding procedures. This will not be strictly a show car though. It will be a street rod that we plan on driving to rod runs around the country. I know it will not be a "Riddler" award winning car. It is my first attempt at building a street rod, but you have to start somewhere! I am doing everything myself except for the media blasting. So far it has been a lot of fun.
I need to know how much epoxy, primer, paint, and clear i will need for the car as well as thinners and activators and such. A 39 Sedan is a pretty big car, so i know it will take quiet a bit of materials and is it best to stick with one brand through the entire process. I also know it varies but about what will the cost be. Thanks for any info, Steven

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2006, 05:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I'm not shure about what primer to use but as for paint, a car like that could use anywhere from 1qt to 1 gal depending on materials and spray gun. also note that yellow 95% of the time needs a light base as the yellow is transparent, most use a white base coat, but I'd guess you could use a white primer.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I am doing the body work on a 4 door 39 chevy sedan. This is my first street rod. I want to do it right and not just slap some tractor paint on it
Boy is this refreshing to hear. No question about John deer paint or spray bomb products. I like the second painters recommendation a little better myself, although neither are technically wrong. If you get your panels fairly straight, a high build urethane primer should have plenty of fill. If you are dealing with really wavy panels and bodywork, Using a polyester primer may be the way to go. You will need the correct spray gun to spray it. The final coat of epoxy I feel will be better all. Search through threads the last few weeks as some members gave their reasons why they felt that way. I believe it was the thread about spi's perfect paint job. Still I don't think the first painter is giving terrible advice either. I would personally wetsand the final coat of epoxy to insure starting on a nice flat surface, but reducing and spraying as a sealer just prior to paint wouldn't be that bad either if you lay it down well. Good luck with the old chev. I don't know what to recommend for amount of paint as it really depends on how much you are painting, how well the color covers and amount of bodywork, how efficient you and your equiptment sprays. If you find a knowledgeable counter person at your local supplier, they should be able to help you get the correct amount and type of reducers and activators. I shouldn't say all, because there are some counter guys that don't know their head from a hole in the ground. but one of the guys working in the store for a long time should know the correct stuff to recommend. Also check the tech sheets as they will tell you the correct and compatable products and mixing ratios. If you use spi barry will be able to help you out, or you can always ask on their forum. Barry will even help out with questions about other lines from what I understand. Hard to believe, but true.
southernpolyurethanes.com
forum

Last edited by kenseth17; 09-17-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:15 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I would prime it with epoxy immediatly after being stripped. Then you can work on each area that needs attention as time permits. Doing it that way, when you only need to apply filler, it can be applied to the epoxy. If it has been over 7 days since the epoxy was applied, it should be scuffed, another coat applied, and the next day you can apply the filler. If you sand thru to bare metal, you just need to spot in some more epoxy on that area. When you are ready, you can apply 2K High Build Primer to block down straight.

Doing it that way, it is hard to say how much mateials you will need. I use SPI products for everything. On a car that size, I would figure atleast 1 gallon mix of the epoxy. The SPI epoxy mixes 1:1, so that yould give you 2 gallons spayable. The amount of 2K High Build Primer you will need will also depend on how much you will need to apply and how much sanding of it you do. You can also get the epoxy in different colors to use as a sealer under the yellow.

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.