Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How much paint do I buy?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm only happy to help. First of all I would ask you if you have purchased your SPI Epoxy primer yet? And what color is your car going to be. I should have mentioned this earlier and I'm not sure if I did or not, but, when ever I prime anything I get the darkest primer I can...SPI makes a Dark Gray/Black Epoxy Primer and would recommend this in 90% of applications. The reason I choose a dark primer is that when I wet sand and I'm blocking, I get a better reflection in dark primer than I do in a light colored primer and I can more easily see where my high's and low's are in the body work. Your going to a lot of trouble and expense, the car may as well be as straight as it can be.

If the car is blue (like in your picture), I would recommend a base coat from a major paint manufacturer such as Dupont or PPG. If your going to use Dupont, I would recommend Chroma Premiere, (Chroma Base doesn't have the metallic control or coverage that Chroma Premiere has, Chroma Premiere may be a bit more money but if your going to use Dupont, in my opinion it's well worth the extra cost) if your planning on using PPG, either Global or Deltron, (Deltron is less expensive than Global, has excellent metallic control and great coverage), Global is an excellent paint...just a bit more pricey than Deltron.

Another reason I asked if you had purchased your SPI primer yet is that they make several excellent clear coats, their Universal Clear would do a great job for your car, it polishes well and has a great price point.

I hope this helps, any more questions, feel free to ask.

Ray