How much paint do I buy? - Page 11 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013, 04:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't want to be a thread jacker but Ray how is the spi universal low voc 2.1 clear that the canucks and cali guys have to use? I have a side project that I would like to use it on.How is the sprayability,hang time,doi/gloss??What speed of hardeners do they have?
I used the universal a few years ago and found slow to be pretty quick in my downdraft booth...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I can say that I love the way it lays down, I haven't sprayed the non VOC compliant clear from SPI so I can't compare it to that product. I've sprayed a lot of the major manufacturer's clears when we first where mandated to use them...they needed to be worked pretty hard for the most part. The SPI VOC compliant clear for me sprays very close to PPG's old D894 clear (I hope I remembered that number correctly) adn Nexa's 643 clear. If you try the SPI VOC compliant Universal clear, you won't be disappointed. It's by far the best VOC compliant clear I've used.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
Typical car guy (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

Thank you, would you use a 1.3 tip or 1.5 for the clear?
Old 08-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Actually a 1.4 tip is what is recommended...I have tried a 1.3 in GTI with Universal clear and it didn't give me the finish I wanted...I went to a 1.4 and it worked great. If you don't have a 1.4 and your only options are 1.3 or 1.5, try hanging a piece of masking paper on the wall, have your gun set up and try both the 1.3 and 1.5, the 1.5 will be a little more aggressive getting the material on the car, the 1.3 may not get enough material on the car...so, as I said, try both and choose which one you would be most comfortable with. With other clears I always used a 1.3, Universal Clear needs a bit more material than the 1.3 put out because of it's viscosity.

Ray
Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Ray I'll give it a whirl on this old rustang for my buddy.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I'm sure you'll be very happy with it my friend, I know I am. I was always a big fan of the high end clears from Dupont, Nexa, PPG and had a hard time selling or giving the good points of a product like Omni Clear...and I suppose to some degree I was right. I did have a hard time seeing the a Body Shop get paid the full dollar from insurance company's and use the "economy" product being used.

When I first sprayed SPI, it showed me that quality didn't have to have a big price tag and I wouldn't be and won't be afraid to put SPI product on the jobs I'm doing where the customer only wants the best.

Ray
Old 08-06-2013, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo5 View Post
Thank you, would you use a 1.3 tip or 1.5 for the clear?
why don't you read the tech sheet?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

He may not have received a tech sheet when he ordered the product Josh, I know some of the people in my area that are now ordering SPI didn't receive one when they ordered. It is however a good idea to always get one or to ask for one if it's the first time your using a product, just to be on the safe side, they always come in handy.

Ray
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

It's available online

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/TechManual.pdf
Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

That's good information, and I probably should have thought of that as well. I can understand what your saying but, some people, myself included, don't even think about going on line and perhaps they, again myself included should get more into the information technology that's available in that format.

Thank You Josh

Ray
Old 08-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

For what it is worth, they have an excellent forum with a small core group of professionals that are active. It also is an excellent source of information on using SPI products. BarryK personally contributes to most threads that warrant his feedback.

I rarely post as I am not a professional as Ray is but I regularly lurk over there and absorb all I can.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks for the kind words John...I've been at this along time, long enough to appreciate a compliment from a pier and again, thank you for the kind words. I've lurked around and read many of the posts and from the people asking the questions on the SPI forum. If I look at the answers that are given by Barry and knowing how busy the man is, It's even more inspiration for me to help when I can.

John I know you consider yourself a DIY and I respect that, However, I learn much from your posts and build and you sir are a professional. When I get PM's concerning your builds and people have marveled at your ability, persistence and what I appreciate very much is your genuine humility. The lessons that are learned from your posts are very informative, the life lessons in the way you conduct yourself are priceless. John, keep on being you, your a mentor to many people, giving encouragement, advice and ideas on how to do the things that are needed to be done.

I've mentioned this on this forum before, I try and live my life by three words and in the hopes of not becoming too repetitious, I'd like to explain them again for those who are interested. Those three words are Faith, Respect and Trust. To briefly explain, If I ask someone to do something, that means I have the faith in them that they can do it. When they do it, I Respect them. When they do it often enough, I begin to Trust them. John, I've never asked you to do anything but, I have seen what you have done and knowing your personality, I would have faith that you would do..when asked, that deserves Respect...My friend. I have seen you do things more than often enough. You have my Respect.

Again, Thank you for the kind words, just thought I would pass on some words your way, they are earned and well deserved.

Thank you John.

Ray

Ray
Old 08-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thank you Ray. You don't know how much I value your kind words.

LOL. You do realize the only difference between a professional and a amatuer is the proffesional gets paid for what he does.

John

Last edited by John long; 08-06-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

So true John, and there are many a "professional" that I've seen that shouldn't get an amatuer's pay...which often is nothing...LOL. Professionalism is much more than being a trained technician with a ticket saying that they have met the minimum requirements to be in a trade. It's how they conduct themselves as well.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
John long (08-06-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

Hi Ray, The SPI Clear went down super easy! Thank you for recommending that product. When should I begin pulling the tape off? Or do I need to wait until it is completely cured? Thanks as always.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.