How much paint do I buy? - Page 12 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo5 View Post
Hi Ray, The SPI Clear went down super easy! Thank you for recommending that product. When should I begin pulling the tape off? Or do I need to wait until it is completely cured? Thanks as always.
Always welcome and glad to hear that the product went to your satisfaction. I like to wait about 5 hours after clearing if the clear coat hasn't been baked. This allows the clear to set up enough so that your not letting the paper land in wet clear coat and it's still pliable enough so that when you take the tape off, it's not coming off the panel. Just a tip, always pull the tape off at a 45 degree angle away from the painted panel...this leaves a nice edge and less chance of again, taking the clear off the freshly painted panel.

I would still love to see pictures.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Hi Ray, I started putting pix in an album on my forum page. I will add more post clear soon. How long should I wait before color sanding .? I am in no rush and I am just thrilled to be at this point.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

pontiacproject | GTO/GT-37
Old 08-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

You should be thrilled at this point and not in a rush....LOL. It should sit a minimum of 24 hours depending on outside temperature and which activator you used. I like to let it sit for 4 or 5 days, just to make sure that it has set up well. When color sanding, be patient, again, use a block and start cutting with 800 wet if you have a significant amount of Orange Peel. If the clear has laid down fairly flat, start with 1,000 grit. Use your squeegee as you did with the primer. This will quickly let you know when the Orange Peel is gone. If you have small areas or specks of shiny clear coat showing after you squeegee a sanded area, it needs more sanding. After the Orange Peel has been removed, step up to 1,500 grit wet paper...on a block making sure that the previous foot print of 1,000 grit has been removed, then 2,000 grit followed by 2,500 grit....then it's time to polish.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll help where I can.

Now I'm going to look at your pictures.

Ray
Old 08-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

WOW, That's a lot of work you've put into that GTO, There is a big transformation...the pictures are a little blurry but what a difference from when you started.

More pictures when you get into color sanding and buffing would awesome.

Ray
Old 08-10-2013, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

This thread is worthless without pics Just kidding but pics are cool
Old 08-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Ray! It's been great fun and your tutoring great! After the three grits and then to polish. What are your polishing tips?
Old 08-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Well, you picked one of the toughest colors to color sand and polish...Black. Your going to need to be extremely patient and take great care in how you cut the clear....if not, every sand scratch will show, if you take your time and be thorough, it's the best looking color after it's polished.

As I mentioned, if you have a fair amount of Orange Peel, start cutting with 800 wet on a block...if the clear laid down fairly flat, you can start with 1,000 grit.

For polishing, I like to polish one panel at a time and I use 3M's Perfect-It" polishing Compounds, Machine polishes and their color coded polishing pads. The Compounds are all different colors. The coarse is a dark Gray, the Machine polish is Cream colored and the Ultrafine is blue...the pads match the color of the polish so you shouldn't be making the mistake of using a coarse polish on a fine pad. I start off with a coarse compound on the coarse foam pad and start to polish one panel at a time, then move to the Machine polish and then the Ultrafine polish...each with their own pad. After I'm done one panel, I mask it up so that the polish spatter from the next panel doesn't land on my freshly polished panel and dry, (you thought that wet sanding dust was a problem...try removing polish spatter...that's a PITA). I do this until the car is done and I don't leave a panel until I'm satisfied.

I don't use a wool pad, in my opinion, they create to much heat and can burn through paint much easier than a foam pad. Get some Micro fiber towels, they're great for that final detailing, they're washable and last a long time.

If you go with the 3M Perfect-it Polishing system, they make a kit that comes complete with all 3 foam pads, all 3 grades of Polish, Micro Fiber Towels, a spray on glaze and a ratchet type of adapter that goes on the end of your polisher so you can use both sides of the foam polishing pad. I can get about 3 to 4 cars polished with one kit.

I hope this helps and I'm sure you will have more questions when you get into it...when you do, let me know and I'll answer them as they come up.

Ray
Old 08-11-2013, 01:38 PM

Last photo:

Does this appear correct?
3M Perfect It BUFFING & POLISHING KIT Pad Compound Foam 39062 39061 39062 5723:Amazon:Everything Else 3M Perfect It BUFFING & POLISHING KIT Pad Compound Foam 39062 39061 39062 5723:Amazon:Everything Else

Thank you!
Old 08-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

No, the compounds are different...try this one, it's the closest to what I use, the only difference is that the pads aren't reversible.

Amazon.com: 3M Perfect It BUFFING & POLISHING KIT Pad Compound Foam 6085 6064 6068 5723 5725: Everything Else Amazon.com: 3M Perfect It BUFFING & POLISHING KIT Pad Compound Foam 6085 6064 6068 5723 5725: Everything Else

It cost a bit more but it's worth it in the long run.

I hope this helps

Ray
Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
No, the compounds are different...try this one, it's the closest to what I use, the only difference is that the pads aren't reversible.

Amazon.com: 3M Perfect It BUFFING & POLISHING KIT Pad Compound Foam 6085 6064 6068 5723 5725: Everything Else

It cost a bit more but it's worth it in the long run.

I hope this helps

Ray
Ray,
I think the kit he was looking at is the same material. The different part numbers represent pint (16oz) instead of quarts. It is a smaller kit. Let me know if I am wrong.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Hey John, I tried to get his link to load a few times and it wouldn't load. So I looked at the part numbers and they seemed different...if the part number's are different because of size of compound...then my bad...or maybe it's my computer that's bad LOL...tried again and still can't get it to load.

But thanks John, I appreciate the in put. As long as he finishes fine enough, a quart of each compound, especially the "Ultrafine Machine Polish" will be plenty.

Ray
Old 08-11-2013, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

Shine, who's a veteran pro on this forum (but doesn't post here much anymore) does high-end Corvettes. He likes www.chemicalguys.com and only uses them, has for the last 20 years. Says they have a much better price point than 3M.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

John, I just tried loading the link again, it wouldn't load, so I went to the Amazon site, opened my eyes for a change...and you are 100% right...if I could thank you again by pushing the "thank You" button I would, so I hope you accept this Thank You.

To the OP Dayo5...disregard my post #175, you are right, that is the 3M kit for you to buy...and say Thank You to John Long...He just saved you about $100.

Thanks Again John
Ray
Old 08-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
Shine, who's a veteran pro on this forum (but doesn't post here much anymore) does high-end Corvettes. He likes Car Wash, Wax, Polishes, Microfiber Towels and Best Auto Detail Supplies - Chemical Guys Professional Car Care Products - Wholesale and Retail and only uses them, has for the last 20 years. Says they have a much better price point than 3M.
Shine is a well respected member on this site and if he suggest something it's usually good advice. I can't speak for the polish he uses, I can only speak or endorse what I know works for me but, if he says it's a great product, no doubt it is.

Thanks for the response Josh, that's the great thing about this forum, getting different view points on processes and products.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.