Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   How much paint do I buy? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-much-paint-do-i-buy-228779.html)

Dayo5 01-24-2013 11:26 AM

How much paint do I buy?

Hi another Newbie question,
How much epoxy primer should I buy to cover the car, two coats seems right, will a one gallon kit do it?
Also, how much sanding should I do before I spray? I am planning on doing filler on top of the epoxy primer where it needs it.
Thanks!!

swvalcon 01-24-2013 11:31 AM

Is this car stripped to bare metal or do you just plan to scuff the paint and put on the epoxy? If there is paint under the epoxy that is not to way to do your filler work.

69 widetrack 01-24-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swvalcon (Post 1638308)
Is this car stripped to bare metal or do you just plan to scuff the paint and put on the epoxy? If there is paint under the epoxy that is not to way to do your filler work.

I agree...also...what kind of car is it...a Vega will take a lot less Epoxy than a 59 Cadillac. Are you doing a complete restoration?...Door jams, engine compartment, inside of the trunk, dash, floor etc. What kind of equipment are you using...HVLP, siphon feed...what tip and air cap...what kind of compressor are you using?...What kind of overall shape is the car in?...How much experience do you have?...Do you have a brand of epoxy in mind?

These are all question that will help determine how much material you need.

Ray

Dayo5 01-24-2013 12:08 PM

Thanks so much for your inputs!
This is a First Time project for me. I am open to all suggestions! The car will not be completely down to bare metal, just the spots where I am grinding the rust down and off. I read some posts that you should epoxy prime first then do the Filler work. Are you saying that is only if the car is totally down to bare metal?
I was going to scuff the car, grind off the rust, epoxy prime, filler, the epoxy prime over that. Are you suggesting that I do the filler first then cover in epoxy prime?
I appreciate your time and experience.

swvalcon 01-24-2013 03:51 PM

You never what any paint under your body filler. Epoxy primer is ok if it is bare metal with epoxy primer on it only. Best is to grind to metal anywhere you need to do any filling. well out past where you need to fill then feather your old paint, epoxy prime, let dry then scuff and then do your filler work.

69 widetrack 01-24-2013 03:56 PM

As far as how much sanding you need to do and where to strip again depends on what you are working on and what you want to achieve. Of course the rusted areas would need to be strip, repaired (with metal) ground down with a grinder (about 36 grit), epoxy primed, filled and primed. How much your going to sand depends on what your substrate is like...if it's old paint, or lacquer, or weathered base coat.numerous existing paint jobs...etc. It should be striped. If your dealing with a solid substrate like a base clear that is still in relatively good condition or if the car has been finished in the past with a quality single stage paint and is in relatively good condition, you could sand the remaining of the body with 180 to 280 grit paper (I would recommend this over just scuffing the car, you get more bit with the epoxy if it is sanded properly)and epoxy prime.

These are still questions that would help you get and us give better advice.

Ray

Dayo5 01-24-2013 05:26 PM

Your advice is great- so appreciated.
When I sand the rest of the body is it alright if I use an electric palm sander, dewalt four inch?

69 widetrack 01-25-2013 07:27 AM

Using an electric palm sander is OK....however...what ever you sand will not end up being straight. If you use a 4 inch palm sander, make sure to keep it as flat on the panel as possible and you will need to hand sand corners creases and edges. This will be alright for initial priming....When you sand for paint I would recommend hand sanding with a finer grit on a block using a guide coat to find your high and low spots.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Dayo5 01-26-2013 07:06 PM

Hi Ray,
Before I spray the eproxy prime (what brand do you recommend?) do I need to clean the body with a wax/degreaser? Or would all the sanding have taken care of that, then I just to need to use a tack cloth?
Thanks Again

69 widetrack 01-27-2013 04:30 AM

Up until lately I would have recommended PPG's DP line of epoxy....then I tried SPI and I must admit I've been converted. I would recommend the SPI for several reasons. SPI can be sanded whereas PPG's DP line does not have great sanding qualities. SPI has respectable build, so with 2 coats you would be getting a decent amount of mil thickness for blocking and straightening out a car. Plus it's got a great price point...It costs about 1/2 of what PPG's DP line costs. As far as quality of product...all I can say is I've tried to abuse it to failure (I mean I pushed it to the limits so if you follow instructions it will last a long time) and it has stood up extremely well.

As far as wax and grease remover goes, yes, use it...sanding will not take off old wax or grease or Armorall or any thing like that. In fact sanding will only grind whatever contaminant you want to get rid of into your existing substrate and give you potential for your new product going over top to fail.

Hope this helps.

Ray

69 widetrack 01-27-2013 04:32 AM

And yes...it's always a good idea to use a tack cloth.

deadbodyman 01-27-2013 05:46 AM

I even use a tack rag on bare metal BEFORE I spray epoxy ....when your talking paint ,it cant ever be TOO clean...

Dayo5 02-09-2013 06:55 AM

Hi Again,
I removed the horrid vinyl top, it was all dried out and torn in places, I used my grinder to get all of the ancient adhesive off and down to the metal. I don't want a vinyl roof so I am going for just a regular roof. So do the spi epoxy then lay down a metal to metal filler over that? Or skip doing a metal to metal type of filler bc of the spi, and i can just use regular filler on top? Thanks as always

69 widetrack 02-09-2013 09:20 AM

First Off....Be absolutely sure that your roof is rust free...very often underneath a vinyl roof there is rust due to the vinyl trapping moisture. I would recommend that you strip the roof to bare metal...be cautious of your C pillar (the area between the roof and the rear quarter panel), this is where the factory joined the roof to the rear quarter and filled it with lead. If your using an abrasive like 80 grit on the DA make sure you cut into the lead seam as little as possible. If your roof is rust free using the SPI epoxy over the roof and then doing your body work is fine. If you have rust, repair the rusted areas, apply your Epoxy and finish your body work.

Hope this helps

Ray

69 widetrack 02-09-2013 09:22 AM

In addition...you can use regular filler over top of SPI epoxy.

Ray