Hot Rod Forum banner

How much paint do I need

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  STATUTORY GRAPE 
#1 ·
Hey Kenseth, I knew you'd be looking here so I thought I'd say HI :welcome:. I'm going to be painting the 442 next week but don't want to charge the owner and have tons of paint left over. How much do I need if it has t-tops and 2 tone (the bottom 1/4 is a different color)? I'm thinking 1 quart for the bottom and 2 quarts for the top. That should cover it, right? Also how much clear for about 2 good heavy coats?

#2 ·
what brand base are you using, and color, reduction ratio. Also are you spraying with an hvlp. It usually takes me about a quart to a quart and a half mixed to spray a coat on an entire car with the hvlp gun I have. I would think 2 quarts should be plenty for the top. I've already sprayed a cavalier which is a little bit smaller with 2 quarts, one to one ratio, with omni which isn't a great covering paint, and that included doing the door jambs and a little squirt under the hood. I normally just buy a gallon of clear since its not really too much difference in price if you bought three quarts vs just buying the gallon. On a medium size car with single stage or clear, I normally use about three quarters of a gallon with a 4 to 1 mix, and thats was still with my conventional sharpe that wasted a bit blowing overspray in the air. If you run out of base its not too bad, like you happen to get one that covers like hell and you need more, but its a hassle running to get more mixed and more coats applyed before the time window is up, You don't want to run out of clear. I would buy 2 quarts for the top, a quart for the bottom, and a gallon of clear. As long as the base covers in around 3 coats or so, you should have more then enough. And a gallon of clear, you should be able to get three good coats on, and have some clear to wetsand and buff out. Its better to have more then you need then to run out. Clear you can always save any extra you have for a small part later anyways, Just keep the activator cover tight and out of freezing weather, the base color is what can get pretty pricey depending on what color you are spraying. Are you sealing the car at all? You may want to seal it with something close to your main color if its not all one color you are painting over allready. 2 quarts of sealer will do you, only need to put one decent coat on of sealer.

#3 ·
O.K., thats what I figured so thats what I picked up today. 1qt. silver (1 to 1 ratio), 2 qts. black (1 to 1 ratio ), and 1 gal. clear ( 2 to 1 ratio ). I'm not painting it until next week, I have some more prepping to do so if I need more I've got plenty of time. My primer is a light tan color so both colors should cover well. My gun is a gravity feed (not hvlp) with a 1.4 tip. The guy wanted to keep it somewhat reasonably priced so I picked up Omni paint and clear. All I basically have to do is the hood , trunk and sides with black (no roof). I painted a pickup once with just over a gallon and that included the topper. Also, I've never painted a 2 tone before, would I paint the silver, let flash, then mask and paint black, then wipe everything with a tack cloth and clear everything at once? Should I use a low adhesive tape on the base? My tech sheet says Tape:45 min. Clear: 20 min. minimum, 24 hours max. so that would give me ample time. When I picked up my paint today, I took a 5x2 inch long piece of the silver along to match colors with and the guy at the counter told me that whenever you mix a silver base coat it automaticaly becomes a metallic. I just looked at him and went :confused: :confused: :confused: Is this true??

#5 · (Edited)
ohh missed that part, Yep I would paint the silver first up past the point it needs to be, then mask it off and paint the black. The black will cover the silver easier then the other way around and also be less to mask off that way. Every silver I ever used was a metallic. There were only a few silvers on the mixing banks, one like fine aluminum, medium, and course, all metallics, One of them is used in all the metallic colors I think. It is the metallic part of the color. I think he may be right.

#7 · (Edited)
yep. both omni base right? Spray your silver up past where your two tone line will be till covered. Wait your tape time, mask off the line and cover your silver, and spray the black base, then after at least 20 minutes, clear the whole thing. As long as you spray the black and your first coat of clear in your 24 hour time window, you should be fine. Would be a waste of time taping off twice. I would mask the line with some fineline tape, seems to work better for two toning then regular tape and less chance of the second color bleeding under it. After you laid it down the first time, go back over it again with your thumb and press it down again, same with the regular tape that you use over part of the fine line to paper it off. I like the blue fineline myself. Make sure ya post some pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.