How Much Paint Do I Need? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006, 07:45 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How Much Paint Do I Need?

I am ready to purchase the base and clear for my 1954 Chevy truck project and want to ensure I have enough paint for the project plus have a little left over for future needs.

The truck has been stripped and primered on all surfaces, inside and out. The plan is to paint everything the same color. The color will be a medium silver.

Will one gallon of base and one gallon of clear be enough?

Picts are in my photo gallery.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2006, 07:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

it depends on how many coats, what kind of paint gun your going to shoot with ( HVLP or not ) and how well your color covers, talk to the paint store you get the paint from, and what your doing, they should be able to give you a good estimate.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

I will be using my HVLP gun. I am hoping someone who has painted one of these trucks, or similar, before can give me a good "feel" for the material needs based on the silver color I noted. The paint store has said a gallon set up would enough but I am not too confident in their unseen appraisal of the situation. There are many surfaces on this truck that need paint - bed inside and out, doors, interior, cab, fenders, hood, tailgate. Many of these panels have two or more sides that will need coverage. Has anyone else painted a complete truck? Thanks though.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Last photo:

A gallon is going to give you two gallons ready to spray if the mix is 1-1. Consider a minimum of three good coats of base. On my full fendered 34 Ford I am planning on two gallons of unreduced DBC. I already have purchased one gallon of DBC to paint the smaller items like under deck lid, inside of doors, underside of hood panels, door hinges, deck lid hinges, dash, interior moldings, and grill shell. Just painting those items has led me to realize that one gallon of unreduced will not be enough. It is going to take two gallons of unreduced. I will probably have a gallon or so of reduced DBC left over when I am finished, but that is way better than running short. FWIW my mix is $392 a gallon with a gallon of DT885 reducer being $30. This is not even counting the clear and activator.

Vince
Old 04-04-2006, 10:58 AM

as the other gentleman said 1 gallon will give you 2 spayable, but depends on the grade of paint. ppg will give you 2 a good 2 gallons sprayable, but if you go with ppg's cheaper paint omni it does not cover very well. it takes more coats and more paint.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

I think a gallon of base will be a bit short if doing jambs, inside bed, under hood, firewall ect., even in an upper line which coverage is usually better. I usually figure just for the outside of an average size vehicle around 3 quarts of base, mixed 1 to 1 (Giving 6 quarts sprayable) even though my hvlp is pretty good at not wasting paint and may take a little less. I want to say around a gallon and half of unreduced base with a 1:1 ratio, and if it is a 4:1 clear 2 gallons of that. If you dip your paint stick in the paint when you get it, you can sort of tell how its going to cover, if on the edges of the stick it looks really transparent and you can easily see the paint stick color through, That color is likely going to be a poor covering one and probably has a lot of toners in the formula. I wouldn't think silver would cover too bad. If you are painting the insides first before and reassembling and then shooting the outside, you can kind of guage how many coats its taking for coverage and figure the amount you will need when you get to the outside, and you can put maybe only two coats of clear inside the bed and other areas you won't be buffing. It normally takes me about 1 to 1 1/2 quarts of reduced base to put a coat on the outside of an average size vehicle. Maybe multiply 1.5 times the number of coats it took to achieve coverage on the interior parts and figure that amount of reduced base (or divide that number by 2 for amount of unreduced base if a 1:1 base is used)for the outside with a little saftey net built in. Then if you feel you will be short, by the amount of base you need and mix it in with your left over base to shoot the outside.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.