Hot Rod Forum banner

how much paint for frame

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Old Fool 
#1 ·
How much paint should I purchase to paint the frame of my ’34 Ford after it's sandblasted. It's about 98 s.f. of area. I’m going to use polyurethane or would POR15 be more durable?

#2 ·
I originally painted my '31's chassis with DuPont Centari. I still have several ounces of ready to spray left of the quart. You do need to do a good prep, prime and clean first. As far as POR-15, do a search and you will find mixed emotions. Myself, don't care for the stuff. I ended up having my very nice Centari paint job blasted and then powder coated. Much more durable - and again, 'emotions' run high there as well. I'm happy with mine several years after being done as there are zero chips, dings or rusty spots.

#3 ·
Living in California we can no longer get DuPont Centari. I can get urethane and polyurethane which is mixed 4:1. I don’t know if a quart would be enough – maybe I should try ½ gallon? When I used to paint a car with acrylic enamel by the time it was reduced you could paint a whole car. With polyurethane there isn’t a reducer you just add a catalyst so it probably won’t go as far.

#6 ·
lamothe1 said:
i was going to use SPI epoxy, but i want black gloss and they only have "semi-gloss"
I still suggest using the SPI epoxy, then shoot single stage black urethane over it for a top coat. I know doing it this way will cost more than using a single product,, but I truly feel the cost and effort is more than offset by the end product if offers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.