how much paint for a pickup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 08:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how much paint for a pickup

im a first time painter and i getting close to ready to paint my 77 f150 pickup long box regular cab. im not painting inside the box and the inside of the cab, doors and hood are painted already. i want to use omni epoxy as a sealer i already have half a gallon of it. and the color is a bright pearl blue im using omni base i already have a half gallon of it. and ppg clear i have ahalf gallon of that too. can anybody give me an estimate on how much more supplies ill need i plan to buy extra but i dont want to buy alot extra that i probably wont use. my local paint supplier isnt very helpful and i will rather use a different supplier for my next project. and wont be using the omni or ppg paint anymore. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

How much paint needed .

I had a body shop from '82 thru '85 and used catalyzed acrylic enamel back in the old days . It would take 1 gallon of paint plus reducer and catalyst to paint any full size car or pickup with three coats of paint. Be SURE to follow the manufacturers mixing recommendations on the paint can for best results . Do Not let the paint dry completely between coats for best flow and gloss . Use a good gun . Good luck.
Also , you may want to know that Speedway Motors has excellent acrylic urethane which I recently (Jan of 2010) used on my T-bucket .
Old 08-17-2010, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

What's the mixing ratio on that paint. how many sprayable quart would I need to lay down 3 layers of base and maybe 4 coats of clear and I don't want to risk running out?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

As a rough guide I would say 2 quarts sprayable for each coat, in other words for each coat with a one quart cup on the gun you will refill the gun once and have just a little left in the gun when you finish each coat.
Check your data sheets for mixing ratios for the paint you are using and you can figure out what you need.
Generally if you need to buy 3 quarts you might as well buy a gallon because it will be about the same money.
Four coats of clear sounds like a lot to me, especially if you are using a quality high solids clear. If you get too much film build you can have more problems with chipping down the road. Again read the tech sheet but unless it specifically calls out for more coats I don't think I would go past three, even if you plan to cut and buff.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39Hemi
As a rough guide I would say 2 quarts sprayable for each coat, in other words for each coat with a one quart cup on the gun you will refill the gun once and have just a little left in the gun when you finish each coat.
Check your data sheets for mixing ratios for the paint you are using and you can figure out what you need.
Generally if you need to buy 3 quarts you might as well buy a gallon because it will be about the same money.
Four coats of clear sounds like a lot to me, especially if you are using a quality high solids clear. If you get too much film build you can have more problems with chipping down the road. Again read the tech sheet but unless it specifically calls out for more coats I don't think I would go past three, even if you plan to cut and buff.
I'd like to reinforce everything said here . Exactly what I encountered in my career painting days . I prefer only two coats of clear .

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.