how much power is my 454 making now? and what mods should be next? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfreas313
I chose this cam because on a low compression engine it should create gobbs of torque
Assuming the intake closes at or around 38 degrees ABDC and using an SCR of 8.5:1, I'm gettin' a DCR of 7.4:1 on the KB calculator. This will not be a particularly strong motor. You cannot just reach out in thin air and pick a cam without doing the math.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 12:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Assuming the intake closes at or around 38 degrees ABDC and using an SCR of 8.5:1, I'm gettin' a DCR of 7.4:1 on the KB calculator. This will not be a particularly strong motor. You cannot just reach out in thin air and pick a cam without doing the math.
Cant be to weak since it runs all over the new 412 hp mustang that weighs less than me
Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Cant be too weak since it runs all over the new 412 hp mustang that weighs less than me
Yeah, you're right, your motor must be producing 600 horsepower or better.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you're right, your motor must be producing 600 horsepower or better.
I really enjoy coming on here just to ask a general question and there always has to be one miserable old Dick that answers. Congratulations on making everyone that is a part of this forum look bad. If you want to be a ****** bag then please stay off my post.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:04 PM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

There are better ways to get the answers you seek.

If you want good honest answers for free your in the right place.

If you want to be told you have the power of god under your hood, there's a fee for that.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
I really enjoy coming on here just to ask a general question and there always has to be one miserable old Dick that answers. Congratulations on making everyone that is a part of this forum look bad. If you want to be a ****** bag then please stay off my post.
you really shouldnt ask questions, or for any help
if you dont want/like to hear the correct info/answers

he just showed you a chart that supports the help/answers he gave you

and you are arguing with him, telling him he doesnt know what he is talking about

techinspector1 is one of the best guys on this board for building engine setups --on paper/in type on your screen -- so you can see what will work and what wont

he will spend large amounts of time getting info and doing dyno sims for your, and everyone elses' set up

techinspector1 is the man when it comes to helping people, and i dont even fell like you deserve to be on your own post with an attitude like that!

but that is just my opinion
Old 12-16-2011, 05:28 AM

I appreciate honest answers but there is no reason to give them with an attitude, plenty of other people answered this without feeling like they needed to talk down to someone. His answers are not what bother me, cans are an easy change, but I find it unnecessary to talk to someone who is just asking for **** and giggles the way he did. I did not come on here claiming to have Jesus under the hood I simply asked peoples opinions on it and I did not clarify that I didn't want people to think that meant to get on here and talk **** because they have something better, this is my first build on my own and I still do not fully understand how exactly to select the perfect cam.. I never attempted to contradict his knowledge of engines, all I am saying is that from now on if you feel like you can't answer the question that I have asked without any ******** comments then please do not bother to reply to my posts. I appreciate constructive criticism but I do not take it well if it is delivered in an inappropriate fashion,

Now, all that being said, does anyone have an idea of what would be the proper cam that I should be looking for, after I open up the heads and run larger valves and with a small nitrous shot?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 AM
elkyholic

Last photo:

Obviously you don't get it.

When a new guy comes on here and tries to bash one of the most respected members, (Believe me - you are not the first)
he can expect difficulties getting interest from anyone else.

The response to your comments by TI was pretty much along the lines of what we all were thinking. (Nobody believes that your truck is quicker than a 400HP Mustang , if you outran one - they simply weren't trying. But to be fair I'll happily race your truck with my stock 04 GTO [350hp], on any track within 100 miles of Va Bch)

TI's advice was on the money - you can't pick a cam like your picking your nose , DO THE MATH! That is the best way to get a good result.

I'll be happy to assist any way I can, but you need to show some respect.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Torque wins races bud, that's why something with higher HP can lose to a vehicle with higher to a vehicle with more torque, and the mustang is a heavy *****
Old 12-16-2011, 12:19 PM

If u wanna drive up here be my guest, ill outrun that in my gtp with a v6 lol
Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 PM

And I give respect when it is deserved, and talking down to someone does not earn respect
Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 PM

As far as the cam the one that I have is in the range that I have been told on many forums will produce a very torquey engine such is what I'm going for and that is why I chose it, it wasnt just a guess but what cam would you recommend?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

It sounds to me like you are satisfied with the performance you're getting from the motor, so I have no further suggestions concerning that. I don't have enough basic information to make an intelligent suggestion anyway. Most fellows will start at the wrong end of the truck, adding pieces to the motor when they should be improving the rear suspension and installing gears and a locker together with wheels and tires that are chosen toward a goal. So, that would be the next thing I would work on.

I regret getting sideways with you, but you have just enough smart*** in you to get on my nerves. The guy in the Mustang may or may not have been on the loud pedal, but it's a moot point anyway. I can't respect street racing anyway. What I can respect is a timing slip from the dragstrip. That's where the rubber meets the road.

If, for instance, you were to make a quarter mile pass at 14.70/96, then changed some parts or did some tuning and went 14.40/98, then you have meaningful data.

There are many things I could teach you and you wouldn't have to take someone else's opinion on another forum about what cam to use, you could work it out for yourself. Either way, I wish you the best of luck.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
It sounds to me like you are satisfied with the performance you're getting from the motor, so I have no further suggestions concerning that. I don't have enough basic information to make an intelligent suggestion anyway. Most fellows will start at the wrong end of the truck, adding pieces to the motor when they should be improving the rear suspension and installing gears and a locker together with wheels and tires that are chosen toward a goal. So, that would be the next thing I would work on.

I regret getting sideways with you, but you have just enough smart*** in you to get on my nerves. The guy in the Mustang may or may not have been on the loud pedal, but it's a moot point anyway. I can't respect street racing anyway. What I can respect is a timing slip from the dragstrip. That's where the rubber meets the road.

If, for instance, you were to make a quarter mile pass at 14.70/96, then changed some parts or did some tuning and went 14.40/98, then you have meaningful data.

There are many things I could teach you and you wouldn't have to take someone else's opinion on another forum about what cam to use, you could work it out for yourself. Either way, I wish you the best of luck.
I to regret my choice of words, I lost my temper and I apologize. As for the traction mods I have done all that, did it back when I had the 350 in it, now I just need to do another tire upgrade, thinkin about the m/t sportsmans
Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 PM
elkyholic

Last photo:

Good natured ribbing is the intent.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.