Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - how much power will this motor make
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fords
some guys over at the maverick board with similiar cars are going high 6's and low 7's. If it runs real low 7's I would be satisfied with it.

On a mechanical cam some people have told me you have to constantly adjust the valves and I was wondering if that was true
I run solids in several cars(self and friends) 3000-5000 miles a year with good pushrods and rocker arms and the correct springs. I adjust them twice a summer - once beginning of season, once or twice during the summer. Rarely ever find anything has moved, I'm basically just checking things over. If lash is moving, something is wearing that shouldn't be or the rocker polylocks aren't holding. The modern parts and materials, along with better precision parts and tighter lash that modern cams have, eliminates most all the adjustment that came with solid cams in the 1960's. Parts don't get beat up as hard with modern stuff and tight lash.

You will have to adjust and check them several times (3-4) in the first 500 miles until all the mating parts wear in and take a "set", then things will be quite stable. Do a solid and you will never want to mess with hydro's again on anything you want to run hard!!