Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How much power will should i make?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Wiki Edits: 0

[QUOTE=Raptorus1][QUOTE=my87Z] the factory dished pistons are what is acutally hurting you since you are acutally loosing power due to there not being a propper quench pad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z

Second question is there a design fault in the factor piston? by the calculations i have the quench would be about .065 which within the optimal range of .06-.08 correct me if im wrong.

that is not exactly what i was talking about. i was talking about the fact that factory dished pistons are O shaped and dont have a flat side to them the way that D dished pistons do, this flat area at the back side of the D is called the quench pad, this is were much of the combustion will be focused on since it will be more compressed than in the dish, in a O dished pistons the "quench pad is acutally in the O and therefor is less compressed, this causes less combustion and more fuel to be unburt.

as for a proper quench, the area from the flat part of the piston crown at TDC to the head surface, .038-.046" is optimal. most people shoot for around .040-.042".