how much room is good (for a garage?) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 03:12 PM
Broke

Wiki Edits: 0

how much room is good (for a garage?)

we're adding a 2 car garage on to our house, dimensions are 32'x24'.
I get (or more like me and my dad, for my future project car) half of it.....will this be enough room to keep a car, some tools, and not be cramped?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2004, 03:55 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Speedbird,

Well, you can never have TOO much space in your garage. But if I were you I'd be jumping for joy getting any space at all. Sounds like you and your dad have a good relationship going there and that he is quite supportive of your interest in cars - and that is always great to see.

I remember when I was 16 (more than 40 years ago) my dad did the same for me. He built a new two car garage attached to the house and gave me the old 12x20 detached for my car building. I built my first 23-T in that little space and followed that with a 52 Ford with a Hemi Chrysler. I did everything in there - pulling engines, welding frames, even paint jobs. Nobody ever told me it was an undersized, cramped, unheated, drafty, POS. It was just what I had and I couldn't have been happier having it.

Personally I would say yes - your garage has "enough" space. Not optimum. Not perfect. Not spacious. But enough. I think what you'll find is that it's the building of the car that's important - not having a perfect garage to build it in.

Dewey
Old 03-31-2004, 04:02 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

It all depends on what is the width and what is the length. 32' wide would be nice but I would at least go 28' deep so you have room to move around the vehicle front and back. I have an extended cab truck and the 28' is still tight on the length if I am working in the front or rear of it. At 24' I would have no room at all. Then you have to figure in placement of workbenches, toolboxes, getting a jack in the front without hitting the wall, etc. Plan it good before it gets built. Also if OSB prices drop yopu had better get it started before it goes up again. Keep us posted with some pics.

Kevin
Old 03-31-2004, 05:12 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin45
Also if OSB prices drop yopu had better get it started before it goes up again. Keep us posted with some pics.
Kevin
Good point Kevin. Prices on plywood, OSB and steel are going through the roof from what I understand. I have contracted for a 28x48 garage to be built this spring and my contractor has been told by his suppliers to expect the already escalating prices to go much much higher as we head into the summer. May not be the best year to be building. On the other hand, if you own a field full of junk cars you should be in fat city, the recycled steel market is red hot at this point.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:55 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Last year, at this time, 7/16" OSB was $5.99/sheet. I just bought it at $16.99, which was DOWN from $20.99 / sheet. Dimensional lumber (2x4,2x6) is crazy too. Steel costs are double. Fuel is high. Hang on boys, its gonna drive construction costs through the roof ! April generally signals the building season. Prices normally go up 10/15%! The only thing that goes down is insulation. They still use it in the summer, but its kind of an anomoly.

Any garage is a good garage. As a kid, I worked in an old chicken coop, that had a fire in it previously. Big enough to fit 2 snowmobiles in.

Congrats !!
Old 04-01-2004, 08:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

It's been my experience that you can never have too much garage space. When I built the house we are in now I put in a 25x36 foot garage. Promptly gave a 10x10 section to my wife for storage and a pantry. I've built two cars out there and still feel I need more room.

In the house we'll be building in Arizona next year, I'll have a complete 4 car garage (in two separate sections) with a dedicated shop area. The garage is "L" shaped with the "parking" area being 29' wide and 25' deep and the working section will be 26' wide and 36' deep. The parking section will have a ceiling with storage above while the work section will have a vaulted ceiling to accommodate a lift.

When it comes to building a house, garages are cheap. I'm just thanking my lucky stars we decide to lock in the price of all our materials early last year. Shortly after we did that the price went up 5% and it went up 8% this year. We've already saved almost $22000 in price increases alone. (It's a log home kit.)

Centerline
Old 04-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Broke

wow.......
dunno if i should inform my parents about the fact that its super expensive to build at this time or not...hahaha
Nah, i'm sure that they already know......
Yeah, some space is better than no space, but i'd like more space already hahaha
(Yep, speedingpenguin is greedy. lol)
One of my origional plans was just to get an LT1 camaro and not worry about the paint, interior, or suspension...just do a few bolt on things to the engine....but my dad talked me out of that and into useing his old car for a while and when we get the garage built, he'd like me to get a car that we can strip down to nothing, and build up completly......he used to love doing that with his own cars, and he'd love to do something like that with me, so thats great :-)
Right now my parents and the architect are just finishing up designing the addition, and are looking for contractors....but as soon as we get started i'll be taking pics, so once theres a good amount to show i'll upload some progress pics :-D
Old 04-01-2004, 04:50 PM

Just to add what was said walking takes about 3' min to be comfortable but if your working I would try for 5' min. So if your car is 6' wide you need 16' but if you want a bench then you need to add for that width. The same goes for length add 10' plus the width of cabinets to the car length. If it is a 2 dr car then make sure you have enough room to open the doors all the way and still walk around them.
I don't agree that any space is better than none, I get very agrivated when cramped and you risk messing up the project. Right now it is cheap to add a little remember it is just as cheap to add 4' as 2' due to material size.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:51 PM
1949 Chevy Truck

Most people are concerned about how wide the garage is. The depth is where most people get into trouble and don't build large enough. Get it as deep as you can.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:49 PM

Here is my take on the size. The more room you have the more stuff you get to fill it. Pick a size you could live with and then double it. You will need tall ceiling for the new lift. You will also need a new side door for the wash bay. Don't forget the space for the bathroom and sink. I almost forgot about the space for the fridge to keep your drinks ice cold.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

Binder, what part of MO ?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:16 PM

Last journal entry: the goods
Last photo:

Whatever size you build, it will seem to small within the first few months It seems, the more space you have in a garage, the more room you will have to store more crap. I don't have a garage right now, but I do work in an 80 x 40 shop that I get to use on evenings and weekends. I built a 2 stall garage for my parents about 7 years ago and it is now to small and will be adding another stall to it.

The reason behind the dramatic increase in lumber prices is the becuase of the soft wood lumber dispute between Canada and the USA. The USA has hit the Canadian lumber industry with huge levies which forced a lot of lumber related business to shut down. They couldn't afford to pay the high tax levies for their lumber to cross the border. As soon as they get it all straightened out, you will see the price of lumber decrease immediately. I am waiting until then to build a garage for myself.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:49 AM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

So true, so true.....

When 4Jaw and I first got married he went from living in an apartment (I lived with my parents in a house with no garage) to having a small one car garage (that was really should have been bulldozed--what a piece of crap that thing was ) that came with the house we bought. Well, he managed to fill that up with stuff (notice I didn't say junk, cuz it's all had a use at some time or other), then we needed a bigger house. Found the perfect one further out in the country with a 24' X 24' detached. Really nice garage, flat concrete floor, lots of room for the....ahem....equipment....shelves, etc.....Didn't take 4Jaw long to fill THAT one up either......
It's like the guys keep saying, you never have ENOUGH room, you just keep adding more stuff to the room you have......and finding new and interesting ways to store it.

Best of luck with your new space and all the stuff you can fill it with.

Chickie.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.