Hot Rod Forum banner

How much should i sell my truck for?

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  badknuckles 
#1 ·
I need to sell a project truck to finish my project car. It is a 1982 chevy pickup, regular cab. I've attached a picture and here are the specs:

New Dodge Silver paint job
New 17" rims and tires
all new bushings, suspension and body
re-arched leaf springs with flip kit
new front drop coils and spindles
new disc brakes
power steering
new 98 roller motor 350 + .030, under 500 miles on it
GM LT4 hot cam
new dart iron eagle heads
edelbrock air gap intake
new holley 750 carb
new 2500 stall
TH350 trans
brand new rear end: new richmond 3:73 gears, new auburn posi, with a richmond rear end kit.

To finish this truck, all you have to do is get front and rear bumpers, a dashpad, seats/seat cover, and heat and a/c.

How much do you think I should sell this truck for? I have no idea what it is worth since it is a project truck i built from the ground up which isn't completed yet.

Thanks for your opinion
Sean S.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Thats a nice lookin truck !! its too bad that you need to sell it, but sometimes that happens when we want to do something else,, with all that you have put into it in parts alone , you are getting a bit of money tied up, I asume that you did all the work yourself, [which looks to be a nice job,] but I would bet that you are into it parts and paint ,wise probably close to 8 or 9 grand,
I have always thought that a rig was worth what you could get out of it, but that isn't always true, you shouldn't have to sacriface your time and money , and then sell it for a loss,
I would start at 10 K and see what the reaction is from interested people, then adjust the price accordingly, But don't take a loss on it,, remember,, This truck gets worth more everyday, thats whats nice about old iron , thay get more valuable everyday, no matter what condition they are in, Just don't give it away,

Good luck Bill

#10 ·
So far there is about 10K in the truck. I've been building it for about a year. I really do like it, but it didn't turn out quite the 'daily driver' i was looking for.

IMHO, the cam is too radical, and the gears need to be changed: 50 MPH in drive..... 3000RPM. Not my idea of fun

I might list it on ebay with a reserve not too crazy, make the auction longer than a week, and see what happens. The only problem I see with that is I live in Houston, the bottom of the map, so that might pose a problem for some buyers.

I really appreciate everyones opinion :thumbup:

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again
Sean S.

#12 ·
keep it......... it will probably only bring $4000- $5000 tops..........its a truck with nice wheels and a new motor thats it....there is no collectible value to it other than your own sentimental value.........its nice but unless you find someone that sees something in it...... it wont bring but 1/2 of what you have in it if your lucky....thats just the bottom line good luck

#13 ·
selling

if all it needs is a few more things do it completely and get a finished price for it figure your parts then your labor then take halve off the labor and tack it on the bill you might get some one with money to burn and you might not its 50-50
nice work its sad it got away from you but sh** happens right?
out of all the things Ive lost i miss my mind the most

keep up the good work
slowride66

#15 ·
A rough estimate i have used in the past is the cost of parts and materials that I have invested. Yeah you loose your time but if you had fun and learned alot along the way is it really a loss. It looks like you put some heart into that ride and that is hard to put a price on. It is even harder to find someone who recognizes that effort and dedication and is willing to pay for it. I think you would be better off making the adjustments to it so it would better meet your need for a dailey driver, which if I am right is what you set out to do. You would be out a little more time but you could probably resell the parts you have to replace and recover alot of the cost. If that is not an option best of luck and i hope you ride finds a good home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.