Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How much time do you spend 400/600 sanding?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 01:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How much time do you spend 400/600 sanding?

I'm just curious how much time you guys spend when you're final sanding before sealer or base. I'm sanding 400, then 600. My final block was with 220. I'm dry sanding because my panels were sprayed with Slick Sand and I don't want to get water on that. I'm using 3M paper. I'll be putting lightly reduced epoxy on as a sealer, and my basecoat is a metallic blue.

However, it's taking me HOURS per panel. So far I've done a fender and I've now spent half a day on my hood already, plus some time on previous days. Granted the fenders on my 67 Mustang have several body lines, and I have a scoop on my hood which takes more time as well. But I'm sanding with 400 until every last detectable scratch I can see is gone.

I'm just trying to figure out if I"m doing something wrong, being too anal, or this is just how it goes. The last time I prepped something was a fender years ago and I don't recall how long it took me.