Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How much time do you spend 400/600 sanding?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Why are you dry sanding? As another said, the paper clogs - and I've found almost instantaneously. Also, when it does clog, it will usually form a bunch of globs on the paper that are digging furrows in your poly primer, 2K or even the epoxy if using a sandable like SPI. If you are worried that it will cause rust if you wet sand - it will only if you cut through the substrate then leave it for an extended time. Soak the torn, not cut paper pieces a half hour in a bucket of luke warm water with a couple drops of Dawn or similar dish soap, then alternating between several pieces, resoaking and cleaning in the bucket, go to work with whatever sanding blocks and pads blocks you have along with a constant water source(you aren't doing it without blocks are you?). You might not save a lot of time, but you will save the cost of lots of paper plus really have a 600 finished panel (I finished my last car with 1000 before paint).

Now, how long does it take? As long as it takes to get a perfectly prepped surface ready for paint and often that's dependent on how slick you put the undercoat down and to cut the 'nubbies' down smooth