Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How much time do you spend 400/600 sanding?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 05:27 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Of course you are correct about any moisture causing major issues if it got trapped. Have you considered dry sanding it with a coarser grit and priming with 2 coats of SPI Epoxy and then wet sanding that with 400-600? Most epoxies do not sand well but I used SPI Epoxy when I repainted my doors and then blocked them with 400 and a guide coat. It really worked well.

My fear would be first that it will take forever to dry sand with 400. Secondly, I am not sure you can keep it clean enough not to get nib scratches in it. I would want to do my final sanding wet even if it meant using a 2k or epoxy primer for final prep. As I already mentioned I am not the professional here but I certainly have experienced the situation you are in.

I painted a 47 ford in 1978 with Eliminator which was one of the eariest polyester primers. I know I wet sanded it. It is in the shop now getting repainted. The paint I put on it only lasted 45 years. Obviously the moisture did have plenty of time to escape.

John L
John, I agree 7 billion percent. I was laying in bed thinking of a way I could wet sand this which really ended up with shooting full epoxy, and then thinking how ridiculously long it would take me to do all of it, and how much paper it would use.