How much time do you spend 400/600 sanding? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,074 Times in 958 Posts
It lasts a long long time, get some dry you will never go back to spray paint again.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 07:55 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Professionally, I would use the dry stuff, but being an amateur, use SEM guide coat, and purchased really cheap at a swap meet from a guy that always has a bunch. I dislike giving 3m any more of my hard earned dollars then necessary - even for their $$$ tape which doesn't seem as good as it was.
Lizer (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,074 Times in 958 Posts
I am with you, I LOATH big corporations and chains believe me, I VERY rarely go into any chain when I have a local store or restaurant to give my money to.

But this 3m guide coat is SOOOOOOOO good, it is SOOOOO much better than spray paint you can't believe it. It covers EVERY square inch you want it, with a very fine dust going in very small scratches, it is well worth the money if you ask me.

There are alternatives, just yesterday at a swap meet I was having a long chat with one of my mentors from 35 years ago, one of my very valued mentors (and I tell him every time I see him) and he told me how he had begun to use soot from the torch for guide coat! He fires it up with just the acy on low and waves the torch on the panel putting soot all over it. He then wipes it all over with a rag and it goes in all the scratches and it's his guide coat. He told me how he found it by mistake after he welded a missed crack and then while sanding the area WHAM there were all the scratches. Never done it but it may be an alternative to the 3M stuff.

I am stubborn as heck when it comes to giving money to someone I don't like, I really respect your opinion on not giving money to 3m, believe me I do, but damn it if it's going to make my job easier and better sometimes I will just bite my lip and do it.

Brian
Old 05-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

Does the SEM guidecoat spray in a fan pattern?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

my buddy uses primer for glide coat. just uses dark over light or the other way around. its cheap and works fine. ive helped him many times and his paint jobs are awesome ! i sure as heck dont know much but he does so i thought id mention it here.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
Yes - or at least the can's I've had did. Ya gotta remember, if the corporate finance guy can save a penny a case, things change

Brian - I've seen that acetylene trick used, but have never tried it - remember with some of us being overly mature, CRS goes hand in hand, so had forgotten.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
Josh, the SEM guide coat is basicaly pigment without filler. I use it regularly and it does work way better than spray paint and/or spray primer because it does not fill your sand paper. The powder very well may be better but the SEM is far better than paint. When I repainted my doors this spring I blocked the SPI black epoxy. I used white spray can laquer for guide coat and was wishing I had a can of light guide coat but my local store only had the black.

You will enjoy it if use it I am sure.

Yes it does have a pattern spray nozzle.

John L
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
Lizer (05-05-2013)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.