How much is too much? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2003, 04:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy How much is too much?

Hello everyone. I was reading over some of the information about gearing (and there is a lot of it out there) but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for and I was hoping someone here could help me. Here's my question. Don't laugh too hard. I have a Mustang I'm that I would like to modify so that it will have some more power. The main problem is it is a four cylinder. I have read on some other web-sites that you can change the gearing to 3.75 and it will help considerably with your torque. I wouldn't be really considering this since it is on a four cylinder but I noticed yesterday that I have hit somthing and my differential is leaking. I figured that if I need to replace it I might as well do it right. I don't want to spend too much money on something that will not work well. I know that HP is a major factor and this car just doesn't have any. I

s there anything else I can do (short of putting in a V8) to help with my accerlation?

Just for the record (and for my honor since I'm asking about a four cylinder) I am also building a '83 GMC that I'll be asking about soon.

Jon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2003, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

Jon, no need to laugh, there are lots of fast 4 bangers out there, and you are correct, changing the rear gears is about the fastest and easiest way to get much better "off the line" starts and enhance your "roundtown" driving. If you go too low though, you will be over revving at highway speeds.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:43 PM

Thanks a lot. I don't know why Ford ever put a four cylinder in a mustang. Any idea where I could a replacement cheap? Are there cars that would be compatible if I can find them in a junkyard?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

Same basic four banger in Pinto,Ranger,T-Bird there are some variations on heads and some are dual spark plug, all 2300's, find one in a turbo T-bird and you can really wake up that stang.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the input. I'll start looking for a Turbo Coupe right away.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Jyzoz
Thanks a lot. I don't know why Ford ever put a four cylinder in a mustang. Any idea where I could a replacement cheap? Are there cars that would be compatible if I can find them in a junkyard?

Ever heard of the turbo 2.3 that came in the mid 80s SVO stangs. I have seen them run 12's with some tweaking. The heavy modded ones are running 10's.

Chris
Old 10-15-2003, 04:16 PM

I've read a lot about the turbo 2.3 Mustang's and the modifications that you can make. The only problem is funding. It costs more to run turbo's due to gas (or so I've been told). Not to mention, turbos themselves are expensive and I can't find a turbo engine that isn't real high priced. The engine in the car is great other than power. It has the cleanest oil I have ever seen. It looks new after four months of driving, so I would like to hang on to it instead of creating a bigger problem. The biggest problem (or so I think) is the gearing. Using an idea from this site to find the ration, I jacked it up and it looks like the ratio is 1.75x1. This is just TOO low. I think that gears will help a lot. I also want to change the intake to a larger intake and see if that helps. Thanks to everyone for your advice so far. If anyone else has any ideas, keep 'em comin'.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:16 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

I doubt they ever used a 1:75 ratio or even close in a mustang. You may have figured that out incorrectly. Is there still a factory tag atached to one of the rear end cover bolts? That would have the ratio on it. You could also pull the cover off and count both ring and pinion gear teeth to find out the ratio. What year Mustang? What tranny? The more info you give the better we can help. What rpm are you at now doing 60mph and how much are you prepared to increase in rpms?

Old 10-15-2003, 06:23 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If you jacked it up, turned the wheel and counted the revolutions of the driveshaft, you need to multiply that 1.75 times 2, which equals a 3.50 rear gear. With on wheel still on the ground, you are only turning 1/2 the gvear.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:16 PM

I had the entire back end off of the ground, marked the tire and the driveshaft, and turned it. Only one tire turned that I could see, but I may be wrong because I didn't turn the other wheel while I was under the car. Turning one wheel didn't effect the other at all. (I don't think it should have, but I'm new to the whole gearing thing.) All I know is that it doesn't want to accelerate quickly enough for me. I've been reading about everyone putting anything from 3.25 - 3.75 on some of their street cars I wouldn't think that this thing has a ratio of 3.5:1. If it does, I just need to sell it and invest in my truck (which I'll probably do soon anyway). I know that at 60, it idles at about 2000 rpm's if that tells you anything.
Old 10-19-2003, 03:10 AM

Last photo:

If it's anything like a '86 2.3/4-speed, it probably feels like a 1.75:1 when you start off from a dead stop. I swear they left out low gear in that tranny! I don't know it for a fact, but I've been told the 2.3 5-speeds had a much better low gear.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.