How much volume needed in master cylinder. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 11:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How much volume needed in master cylinder.

Hello everyone

I am in the process of calculating what mastercylinder i should use.

I have Wilwoods dynalite 4x1.75" calipers. in the front. Not decided the rear yeat.

If i use a 1" bore 1.1" stroke MC. To achieve the maximum allowed pressure of 1200 psi with a pedal ratio of 6 to 1 I need to apply a force to the pedal of approx 155 lb
Is this to much for a manual?

If i calculate the caliper piston maximum travel at each pedal stroke (1.1") i will get a piston travel of 0.045" on one side of the caliper so the combined piston travel against the disk will be the double or 0.09". Is this sufficient enough or to much/little???

Best regards

Jimmy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

Just moving the thread to the top of the list.

Anyone who knows?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:06 PM

Master cylinder

Personally I'd want to use a master cylinder with a little larger bore. Why not contact Wilwood and ask them? I'm sure they could give you an intelligent answer.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:34 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Actually, if you're going to go without a booster, you'd want a master cylinder with a smaller bore. Use a bore larger than 1" and you probably will need a booster - without it you most likely will have a hard pedal.

I'm using the Wilwood Dynalites on my T with a Wilwood aluminum tandem chamber master cylinder. No booster. Drum brakes on the back. Absolutely no problem with volume. I originally installed the 1" bore cylinder with a pedal ratio of 5:1. Manageable but I would have liked a little less pedal effort. Since the original installation, Wilwood has released the same cylinder with a 7/8" bore. That was the ticket - much better pedal feel and less effort. If you are planning on using a booster, I would go with the 1" or 1 1/8" bore - I would think the 7/8" would make the pedal way too sensitive.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:51 AM

How much

The previous reply brings up a couple good points. Power or non power brake? What kind of and how heavy is the car? How about the proportioning/metering valves?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:24 AM

Last photo:

At the moment I am calculating for a manual brake. But I am also thinking of a powerboost. The car is an Ford F100 -56 on about 3240 lbs distributed 2005 lbs vs 1235 lbs. I will probably go for a powerboost, but at first I want to calculate appropriate dimensions for a manual system to get a grip of the system.

Everyone says that one have to have enough volume in the master cylinder, What do they mean with this statement what is the criteria for "enough volume" Is it the cylinder/stroke volume vs brake pad travel they mean or is it the reservoir volume vs new or worn out brake pads???

I hope this will clarify some things

Best regards Jimmy
Old 09-21-2007, 11:05 AM

"Volume" as in how much fluid is moved by the cylinder during it's stroke.

Some of this is going to be up to personal preference. Do you want the brake pedal to make pressure with very little travel, or can you stand to have it travel further?? If you want a "tight" pedal with very little travel you'll need a larger master and may have to go with a booster. If you can stand a bit more travel you can go with a smaller cylinder diameter.

Likewise, changes in your pedal ratio also affects not only the output pressure but also the travel. A 6:1 pedal ratio with travel 50% further than a 4:1 ration using the same cylinder.

Tom
Old 09-21-2007, 11:07 AM

How much

Personally I would have to guess that they're concerned about how much fluid you're moving when you step on the pedal. The volume needs in the master cylinder reservoir doesn't change as the pads and or shoes wear. You just add more fluid to the reservoir. Adding fluid is just standard operating procedure as the brakes wear. Again, personally, I don't understand why you don't just contact Wilwood. Some of the advice on these boards is so bad. It's one thing if you end up with 20 less horsepower because of it but another if your brake system fails. Btw, I'm not talking about Cucumber1949's reply on this thread. Some of the "advice" on other threads is real bad.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.