how much is it worth - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 02:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

how much is it worth

hello everyone, i have a chance to pick up a dodge power giant 315 hemi, the engine has not been turned over in at least 5 years and when i looked at it, id say it probably needs rebuilt, the engine is complete all the way to the carb.
when i asked the guy how much he wanted for it he said make him an offer, but after looking on the internet i haven't found much of anything for prices.
can anyone give me an idea how much i should offer for it. any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Check out Doc Frohmader's (aka CHIEFWEASEL) 315 build on Webrodder.

Value? The cheapest part will be buying the engine...

It has potential- but it's not even a 354 so don't get too carried away if you know what I mean. I'd offer $250-$300 and see what that led to.

Last edited by cobalt327; 02-02-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

If the engine is stuck....$100 max. If it is free and complete..... $300-$400 no more.

When it comes to early hemis it costs about as much to rebuild one as it does a BBC. That's a stock rebuild without a new set of pistons. A performance rebuild will set you back a couple grand easy probably a bit more. I know I have about $5000 in the 331 that's in my deuce.

The Dodge hemis were the smallest of all Chrysler's hemis during the '50's. Parts aren't as cheap as SBC parts are by any means. SBC rod and main bearings will run you a little under $100... Dodge hemi rod and main bearings.... $300. Also remember NO important parts from Chrysler hemis will interchange with Dodge hemis. You will need Dodge hemi parts.

The little Dodge hemis are great in light cars like a Model A or 32 but if your thinking about putting one in a big car.... not the best choice. Stock the 315 put out 260-295 hp and with a performance rebuild you could probably get another 50-70 horses without breaking the bank but even then it won't be cheap.

Just things to keep in mind before you take the plunge.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"If money is what makes cars fast, mine otta be going 400 miles an hour!". - Felix Sabates

Last edited by Centerline; 02-02-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:45 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

Hemi's are junk. Might be okay if you mill the heads way down and get rid of the dome pistons but then it would no longer be a hemi. What are you wanting this engine for? Like previous poster have said, you will probably have more fun with a sbc 350 and end up with a way more reliable and longer lasting engine.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
Hemi's are junk. Might be okay if you mill the heads way down and get rid of the dome pistons but then it would no longer be a hemi. What are you wanting this engine for? Like previous poster have said, you will probably have more fun with a sbc 350 and end up with a way more reliable and longer lasting engine.
Be careful your ignorance is showing.

Early hemis, for the most part didn't have domed pistons and whether or not it has domed pistons or flat top pistons has NOTHING to do with it being a hemi. Hemis have hemispherical combustion chambers... its the HEADS not the pistons. And I might add in 1955 when Chevy had finally introduced its small block (with a whopping 195 hp.), you could walk into your local Chrysler dealer and drive out with a hemi that put out an easy 300 hp.

And don't put words in my mouth... I NEVER said he would have more fun with a cookie cutter POS SBC.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Running a small block Chevy is like having a girlfriend who wears a push-up bra. The numbers look great, but once you get under the hood, there's not as much there as you thought." - Anonymous

Last edited by Centerline; 02-02-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:11 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

sorry, didn't know what i was thinking when I said "like the earlier posters said". I know what makes a hemi a hemi. They put domed pistons in the hemis to get the compression up because the combustion chambers are so big. The thought of the head design is beautiful. But is a hemispherical shaped head design worth the trade of having to run domed pistons?

I must have read your sentence about the cost difference in the bearings and was thinking he could have more fun with a sbc. My bad
Old 02-02-2012, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
sorry, didn't know what i was thinking when I said "like the earlier posters said". I know what makes a hemi a hemi. They put domed pistons in the hemis to get the compression up because the combustion chambers are so big. The thought of the head design is beautiful. But is a hemispherical shaped head design worth the trade of having to run domed pistons?

I must have read your sentence about the cost difference in the bearings and was thinking he could have more fun with a sbc. My bad
You've been looking at too many pictures of top fuel engines.

Here's a pic of the 331 that's in my deuce.

Stock replacement pistons .030 over. This particular engine came out of a '55 Chrysler C-300 and was rated at 300 hp from the factory with stock dual WCFB's and a solid lifter cam. Stock compression ratio was 8.5:1. The 390 hp 392 hemi in '57 only had 10:1 compression and used a piston with a small (about 1/4" dome). Here's a pic of a 392 with stock replacement .030 pistons.

As you can see... not much of a dome. When you get into the 13:1 and greater top fuel compression ratios, yes you do get into some hefty domes. Like this one.

Now, all that said.... here's a pic of some high compression (12:1) SBC pistons.

Some engines, those that are more efficient than others, don't need high compression to make decent horsepower. In the 80's a lot of smog engines used dished pistons to lower the CR to meet emissions.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"When buying a used car, punch the buttons on the radio. If all the stations are rock and roll, there's a good chance the transmission is shot." - Larry Lujack
Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

500cid "Top Fuel" Piston

Compression comes from the chamber size and is fine tuned w/head gasket thickness. Running the boost they do, SCR isn't that high.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.