Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How much would you charge?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 03:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Time and Materials warning

In February of this year I took my truck to a Hot Rod shop for a quesstimate on body work and paint. I had heard that this shop did nice work but was expensive. I figured I would get an estimate and if I thought it was beyond what I wanted or unaffordable I would go to my second choice which was far away and probably not as good a quality of work but I was not looking to have a show car. I took it to the closer shop for an estimate. It was guite a bit more than what I had in mind but I thought that I could handle it and I liked the idea of them getting it done in two months as they said they would. A little background on the truck. This was a great truck to start with. No patch panels needed. Not rusted through anywhere. It was already chopped and all fenders repaired by a professional but the finish work needed to be done. No work needed on the chassis. It is now the beginning of August and I still don't have the truck but expect it done any day now. The time and material has now gone over the estimae by 65%. Very little of this is materials. I bought the paint for it. The shop owner who did the estimate has been in business for over 30 years. The paint job is a very basic one color finish. I did not want something where I would worry if it was out of sight. I did want a nice fit on the doors and hood, etc.. I guess I feel that I was mislead by the terrible estimating job. I cannot understand how a person who has been doing this for over 30 years could blow an estimate that badly. This shop bills you weekly and the bills are not small. Before they get one payment there is already another on the way. By the time you see it getting out of hand it may be too late to stop it and your vehicle is in many pieces which makes it difficult to just go get it. I will say that the shop lowered there hourly rate some time back to help and now we have agreed on a single final payment at the time of pickup. My advice to you if you get an estimate is to add another 50% at least. I shoulda built a rat rod. Would have been just as happy and without the stress and empty bank account. Good luck and beware.