Hot Rod Forum banner

How much would you charge?

39K views 114 replies 18 participants last post by  AFX 
#1 ·
I started redoing the interior in my 78 ford truck a while ago, first time Ive done basically a completely custom interior and have been posting my progress on another forum. Still have a ton of work to do though. Anyways I got a lot of good feedback and had a lot of guys ask about doing some work for them. I figured why not since Im running short on cash for my project and its good practice. Lately Ive been doing some dash pads and Im curious about how much a shop would charge in labor to do this. Obviously I havent been doing this for very long and I cant do it as perfect as someone whos been doing it for years, but theyre coming out pretty nice. So could someone give me an idea of what youd charge. I have a feeling Im not selling them for enough. It takes more time than I was expecting to fix cracks, landau foam the top and sew a six foot seam. Ive sold 4 so far.

Heres the ones Ive done for customers. The orange thread wasnt my idea, But it turned out nice.lol. Working on a red one right now. These are all done in symphony vinyl.

I can start up a thread if anyone wants to see how my interiors coming along, but Im not really close to being finished. Ive kinda stopped because Ive decided to do a few things to it that I wasnt expecting to do, and I dont have the cash right now. heres one of the panels I finished up a little while ago.

See less See more
#111 ·
You are correct, vinyl, and all other roll goods, are measured by the running yard, which is 3' by 4 1/2' , but that comes out to 13 1/2 square feet, not 18 square feet.

The rule of thumb is that the average hide is 45 to 55 square feet, which is equivalent to 3 yards of roll goods due to the waste factor when using leather.

#113 ·
The waste factor for good leather hides used for upholstery is only 10% to 15%. You are figuring 25% waste, which would be a worst case scenario with a lower quality hide.

Yes, I know there are hides larger than 45 to 55 square feet, but 70 square feet is not normal. That's why I said "average".

#114 ·
I know some guys that maintain a Museum of cars, (all very rare) they have cars worth anywhere from $100,000 to 16 Million give or take a few. They will routinely pay 10,000 to do the interior on a restoration. The quality of the work is EVERYTHING, the cost not so much. Your work looks Grade A+, You should charge what the market will bear.

#115 ·
Nicely done. I'd like to ask you a few quick questions if I could.I'm new to this as of Nov and don't have any local instruction. Self teaching and gathering info.
1-What adhesive did you use on your dash pads?
Did you staple the backside or glue?
How is the adhesive holding up?
2-What did you use to fill and plane the speaker hole on the large dash pad?
3- What was your method on fabing the arm rests?

And hats off to everyones compliments toward you. Positivity!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.