Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - How much would you charge?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsweet91 View Post
Thanks. For patterns I just use scrap or cheap vinyl. I draw out where I want my seams on the dash or seat to give me an idea and then I make my templates.

Dan might have some more info on making patterns.
OK, do you tack the cheap fabric onto the dash or your just lay it out and mark up the seams. I'm asking because I saw some guy's work on another website, Fiberglass Forums - Powered by vBulletin, which is downright amazing... completely self taught. Looks like he had pics showing how he did the templates, and then took them down before I caught on!

I'm into older BMW's, not necessarily domestic cars, so the dashboards have more complex corners and shapes, so I'm not sure how it's possible to make accurate patterns without cutting individual mockups and tacking them down somehow. Am I off base here?

I joined this forum many months ago, and thought I would be much farther into upholstering than I am. I got as far as settling on which machine to buy, thanks to Dan and everybody else on this wonderful forum, but I've been living out of a hotel for almost a year. Thankfully, I'll have an apartment in Februrary so I'll have somewhere to put the machine!