How NOT to get your questions answered....... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

How NOT to get your questions answered.......

"man oh man"

"need help???????????"

"what do you think?"

These are recent titles to threads in the tech forums........They tell you nothing. If you want an answer to a question, make the title relate to what you are asking.........just a hint.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I like the question that is seen quite frequently...."I want to make a bunch of mods to my car, can you give me some input? " Sheeesh! they don't tell ya what kind of car...don't tell you what mod they want to make. They must think we are mind readers, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 12:08 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just to add a bit on WHY you need a good title to your thread. Many, many, many members here use the "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" method of viewing the forums whenever they visit. They punch the button and what they get is a list of Thread Titles. And many of these members decide which threads to open based totally on that Title. Bad or non-descriptive title...your thread is not even going to be opened by a very large number of people. People that potentially have the answer to your question...or at least some very decent advice.

A good rule of thumb...for every TWO minutes you spend writing the initial post in a thread, take ONE minute to think through and write the most descriptive title possible. You'll get a lot more traffic to your thread along with more and better responses.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy

A good rule of thumb...for every TWO minutes you spend writing the initial post in a thread, take ONE minute to think through and write the most descriptive title possible. You'll get a lot more traffic to your thread along with more and better responses.
That needs to be a sticky. As mods, we have to walk a fine line between being overly particular (anal?) and hoping the title of the thread gets answered. Some folks take editing as a personal insult, this shouldn't be the case. I know, as a long time member here, is someone asks the question "What frame to use?", I am not that curious to open the thread just to find out. Are you building a bicycle, a car, a truck, what are you building and do I have the expertise to help you out.

Another thought and this has been covered before, punctuation and spelling. Some take it as a sign of disrespect when words are run together, no caps, no punctuation, if you can't take the time to write a legible request, why should I take the time to answer.

I don't know how well the search engine works, some good subjects may be lost from the lack of proper spelling and titles.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:31 PM
1988 Dodge Dakota 318 Magnum

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
I don't know how well the search engine works, some good subjects may be lost from the lack of proper spelling and titles.

The search engine on this website is actually above average as long as you always select "Search Titles Only."

When people post, it should be advised that they always use 2 (most likely to be searched) key words in the title of their new thread related to the exact question inside.

For example:

Good Title: What is the minimum clearance between X & Y?
Question:
How much can I squeeze with out X & Y touching?

Bad Title: How far can the distance between X & Y be?
Question: What is the clearance before X & Y touch?

Regardless of the questions each thread contain, the search is going to find the first one, because generally people use certain terms such as "Clearance" and it's a known fact that "part X" is on every vehicle. The majority of people are searching titles only for "Clearance of Y" and hoping for results.

The first thread will be at the top of the results, and the second.. regardless of how much relevant information is in it will likely be lost and forgotten.

If a person is to use the search entire posts feature, they would likely have to go through pages of results to find either thread. It really comes down to key word titles, and searching using the search titles only. From my experience this is the best way to locate old information.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:06 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Excellent points 5-Speed. I hadn't thought about the effects of titling on the search feature.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Wiki Edits: 7314

Wiki'd this here: Improving Hotrodders.com forumm thread title quality.

Please feel free to update the article. It's much easier to refine board policy when the issue is all laid out on one page.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
kc0kfg

Last photo:

posting and you flash

Sure it was for a steam board but several of other groups i belong to use this same bit of flash to teach.

posting and you flash

Maybe it needs to be added to the welcome section ?

Brian kc0kfg
Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Wiki Edits: 7314

Thanks -- I noticed that vid in an Engine forum discussion, and had added it to the wiki article I've just finished: Hotrodders.com engine forum thread quality.

I've just also added it to the wiki article on improving thread titles, in the "Miscellaneous" section at the bottom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.