Hot Rod Forum banner

how old is too old for valve springs?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bullheimer 
#1 ·
my heads were on an engine in storage with the rocker arms still tight for 25 years. water got in the intake and they have already been redone. but the guy said the springs were okay and re used them all, they never got rusty, but still they have had tension on some of them for 25 years. in my opinion they must be junk, and he should have changed them. this is on a relatively low revving (below 6000) pontiyack motor. your thoughts?

#4 ·
They all need checked on an individual basis. It only takes one weak spring to ruin your day.
I would have them dissasembled and checked, properly. Then make a decision. If they are good :thumbup: if they are shaky or one or two is borderline then ...:smash:

#5 ·
Every time you shut your engine off the springs sit at different tensions, so if your engine has enough idle time over the years it's going to have a lot of time with compressed valve springs. The big thing is to check every one, not just random springs. If they all check out, then years of sitting or running doesn't matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.