How old were you when .... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Engine Builder Mentee

Wiki Edits: 0

When my mother first found out she was pregnant with me, she thought that she was going to have twins. Lo and behold, when I was born, my "twin" was actually a small block chevy that in vivo, I had built, stroked to 383, and dyoned with the sheets to prove it, clutched in my small, newborn hands.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Oh yeah.....

Well my dad was Ed Iskendarian and my mom was the "little old lady from Pasadena", so I got it in the genes..

Getting a little "Stupid" in this thread, wouldn't you say?

Budget RVs
Old 02-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Engine Builder Mentee

Stupid, yeah. Fun, definitely.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Crap, hand me the grinder!

Last journal entry: Back on track
Last photo:

Hey Troy...

Wow, I'm impressed. I do think I remember hearing something about that.

Peniclneck314
Old 02-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Good stories here! In 1963, I was 15, bought a '49 Ford convertible for $10.00 with a hole over the drivers head and no motor or trans. I begged and traded odd parts until I had enough to put together a '53 Merc flathead, had a Fenton dual carb set and finned aluminum heads. a 3 spd with OD and no exhaust, right out of the manifolds! My dad didn't have a clue when I asked him if I could roll it down the hill to fire it (battery went dead trying in the garage). When I did, it fired right off and the carb linkage broke, I slowed enough to get my brother behind the wheel while I reached over the W/S jazzing it to keep it running. Made the bottom of the hill, got turned around and came 'roaring' back up, the engine hotter than Haiti's. I beat that thing to death and never blew it up! My best friend's grandpa had an upholstery shop and made us some seat covers, we were riding in style, ha! I, like lots of you guys, wish I had some of the old cars we took for granted way back then, they were cheap and parts were everywhere.

Ahhhhh, the memories.......

Larry
Old 02-15-2004, 04:19 PM
back to action!

Last photo:

back in '62, mickey thompson needed 4 blown pontiac engines for his challenger I and i had 5 built in my room. it was mickey thompson afterall and even though i was 1 at the time my mom said it was okay and off he went to make a new landspeed record. okay, i had to share this because of Nairb, holy cats that was a funny post, man! even if it was the truth.
Les
Old 02-15-2004, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

I was building engines in a high performance shop for employment at age 18. I redid the heads, grinds, guides etc, boring, porting, dialing in the cams, the only thing I didn't do for the first couple of years was align hone. The owner was the only one to use his equipment for that.
I first built a V8 engine on my own about two years earlier, a 327 small journal, camel hump heads. I had "mucked around", changing cams etc, a couple years before that.

I've always had a tendency to take things apart, whether or not I knew how to put the things back together.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Crap, hand me the grinder!

Last journal entry: Back on track
Last photo:

Believe it or not...

I can hover about 3" off the ground if I concentrate really hard.

Pencilneck314
Old 02-15-2004, 05:53 PM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

Re: Believe it or not...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pencilneck314
I can hover about 3" off the ground if I concentrate really hard.

Pencilneck314
SURE, that would only work if you have no legs and concentrate on lookin' up lady's dresses!!!
Old 02-15-2004, 05:58 PM
you talkin to me?

i must have been a late bloomer i built my first motor at 20.
350 hyr flat tappet had a bad rad and wiped out needless to say i had my second rebuild 3 weeks later.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Why doubt any dyno numbers without a shred of proof that it didn't happen?. I don't get it. It seems the general consensus opinion state's that age dictates how much power one can make. I find it a ludicrous opinion.

I was sixteen and rebuilding engines in my parent's basement. Did they make good power. Yes. But I have no proof of that due to dyno's being scarce ten years ago.

There's a 17 year old senior in high school running at our local track who builds is own engines out of his carport with tin siding. He makes around 650 horse and is really hard to beat most times. A few thinks he cheats, but the techs never fail his car.

I've seen young guns make all kinds of thing's. I doubt no one without evidence it happened.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:22 PM
you talkin to me?

to make that kind of power at that age you must need alot of money though.
what kind of parnet would want there kid to drive around in a 500 hp motor??
my dad gave me a 3.8 caprice i told him i had the money to buy a used firebird and he told me when i am 18 i can buy what i want but for now i have to drive this slug.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:02 PM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:

I should stay out of this post but.. I'd like to tell you guys about myself. Last summer my dad and I went to pick up an old Sioux valve grinding machine we bought for $50. The guy had a '70 Chevelle he wanted to sell, I offered to trade him my 300ex 4 wheeler and he said yes. Next week we go to pick up the car and he had a garage full of parts to include I would estimate $20K worth. With the car I got a 350 block, 400 block, 355 motor that had brand new TRW 12:1's, Comp roller cam, Forged crank, eagle rods, Fluidampner. This guy also gave me a bucket of roller rockers and lifters 6 different roller cams, a box of holleys, single plane intakes and a whole truck load of body parts including a fiberglass front clip also several sets of heads, oh yeah a M22 Munci and a 4000 stall. This guy was crazy and I later found out the 4 wheeler blew up that week.
Now about my "548hp 355". My dad is very close with a guy who owns a speed show and had a dyno so he told me he would dyno it for me. We did the break in process first then cranked it up and made 471 hp, I was kinda dissapointed hoping to see 550. We then swapped out my old 750 holley for a new Demon 850 and got 486. Playing around with the jets and timing and little things it made almost 500 all of this through my ported 492 double humps that I paid $50 for. I left my engine there and Danny said "I have a set of Iron Eagle heads if you swapp them we can try to get more" I spent most of the day swapping my old heads for the iron eagle heads, we also turned the cam from 0 to -4. Got it all back together and half way tuned and got 531 after messing with the timing the best HP was 538, I did exaggerate on the 548 by 10. So with my ported double hump heads it's probably close to 500. If I was a parent no way I would let my kid have a 500hp car. It's different to me because I'm building it myself and everytime I get in the car to drive it I will think about the hours invested so I will be extra careful when I drive it, It will probably will be another couple years before I get it going. I build my engine completly by myself it's perfect and nobody would expect a 15 year old build it, I took my time to measure and make everything perfect. I have a job , I work for a local farmer and have been since I was 8.

Last edited by GearHead69; 02-15-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:34 PM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

Quote:
Originally posted by GearHead69
, oh yeah a M22 Munci and a 4000 stall.
Enough said!!

Thats great for you, sounds like you hit the lottery with the old 4 wheeler!! Good, Great, O.K. Bye-Bye- now!!!
Old 02-15-2004, 10:48 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

DANG! that's alotta stuff. did you feel bad about that 4 wheeler
blowing up?

Hey I've got some crappy 624 heads I would like to try porting, but I'm wondering what would be a good tool to practice with?
I've got a Dremell type tool now, would that work?
what kind of bits?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.