How old were you when .... - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2004, 10:55 PM
YOu KnOw IT

Wiki Edits: 0

busted!!! LOL Although i do believe you may have a beefed up engine..dyno seems a lil high but what do i know..i have a 400 sbc all roller with dart heads..that made 512 hp now i'm young too..good thing my dad wanted to help me and live his hot rodding dreams through my car

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2004, 11:05 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

No rebuilds for me. for some reason were I live cars/trucks with
good engines are as cheap a cars/trucks that don't have running
engines.
and a running junkyard 350 over here is $250-$350.

I've replaced a few head gaskets though.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:36 PM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:

Depepding on the size of your cam and compression you are probably running over 500 torque. Heck I have seen a 434 roller SBC with 14:1 only make 550hp but over 600 torque. Bigger cube engines don't make that impressive of HP but they make a lot of torque. My engine is not a torquer and I wish it was because my Chevelle is HEAVY.
For porting I only use air tools because they are a lot more controlable. For bits I use what I call a "tree burr" I don't know what it's really called. An electric dremal will work but they are kinda hard to be precice with. I have some porting pics somewhere around here on a disc. I'll post them on -my website-

Yes I felt pretty bad about the 4 wheeler blowing up I went and talked to the guy and he blamed it on his son.. ha ha

Last edited by GearHead69; 02-15-2004 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:12 AM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Nice site

I don't know if you get Car Craft, but they did a article about
aluminum and cast iron heads, pretty much this vs that.
but anyway they were saying that tha iron heads were as good
as the aluminum ones, cept for the weight.
ever use any of these heads... 291, 292, 186, 187, 461, 040, 041,
414, 034, 113. thats from a list I made of heads with 62-64cc
chambers.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

What is the deal guys?!

Geez! Cut the kid some slack, he's 15. I read this thread for the first time today and I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the way people reacted. Seems like some of the older guys on this site got a little insecure and huffy when the first kid said he built a 500 horse 302. Who are you to say he did or didn't build the thing? First of all, he never said the motor was really his, honestly it was probably his dad's motor and he helped build it. He was probably just proud of doing something like that and wanted to get a "right on kid" or something like that.

500 horse is not imposable to make out of a NA 302. Furthermore, the specs on the engine were never posted, so it could very well be a high hp motor, none of you have the data to disprove that. There is absolutely no reason to jump this kid's $&#@ about this. This isn't the first time this has happened on the site either. There seems to be some resentment about young guys getting into hotrodding and are not taken seriously when the post on the site; that's not fair. The question was how old were you when you built your first motor, not "please rip my hp and torque specs and call me a liar." If you had nothing to add to the first question, you should not have posted on this thread. For a new member, this guy sure did get a nice welcome, for crying out loud he's only posted six times.

k
Old 02-16-2004, 07:47 AM
brains

Last photo:

I was 17. It also was my first car a 73 dodge challenger. It had a 318 but I built up aouther 340motor in my garage because I needed my car to goto school. It actualy only lasted about 15,000 miles ended up spining a bearing, but it sure was fun while it lasted.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:27 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Get em' Killer!!
Old 02-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Killer, did you really read the post close?

He said he built that engin when he was 12 years old. Could you use a torque wrench or a hone or even a valve spring clamp when you were 12?

Most people here do not like to be jerked around, when they spend there time trying to help answer realistic questions.

Troy

Last edited by troy-curt; 02-16-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

again, troy, I'm sure it was his dad's motor and he got to help, so he said he built it. Sure, not his motor, not his money but when I was 12 I could most certainly use a torque wrench with my father's help, it doesn't take a genius to use that tool (or really any tool that it takes to build a motor). When's the first time you drove a car? I was 12. That doesn't mean I drove the car to texas and back, it means with my parents' help, I managed to drive a car around. That statement is in the same context as this one.

K
Old 02-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Killer you may be right. But it takes considerable strength and experience to use a torque wrench and a hone. I started early myself, and I started teaching my 3 sons early, but they could not build a monster engine at that age, even though they were raised in my shop.

If he just helped or watched, he should have stated that and avoided the flaming. This should be a good learning experience for him.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 02-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Crap, hand me the grinder!

Last journal entry: Back on track
Last photo:

Maybe it was a bit too much, but....

If someone takes sole credit for a project that he probably supplied 30% of the effort in, deserves a little critizism in my opinion. On top of that, this isn't the first obscured post this kids made.

A concerned neutral party,
Pencilneck314
Old 02-16-2004, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

im with pencilneck. but it sure does get irritating answering questions people make up from thin air.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:08 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Many years ago on the way to the hospital my mom decided she couldn't wait any longer to have the baby so my dad pulled over and my mom gave birth to me, no cell phones then so it was just my mom and dad. They were both so exhausted that I had to drive home, I noticed the temperature gauge fluctuating, luckily there was a set of head gaskets in the trunk, naturally I replaced them on the side of the highway, don't remember what I torqued the head bolts down to, it was hard using the torque wrench(I was only 1 hour old).Been building engines ever since. I built a 650 horsepower 302 when I was 14. And I've got the Desk Top Dyno results to prove it!!!
Old 02-16-2004, 01:58 PM
brains

Last photo:

I agree with killer, you guys are a little tough on the guy. He is just a kid, I think all kids boost numbers a little bit make the story seem a little bit better.

Whats important is the kid is taking an interest in the same subject as we are, so what if he lied a little most kids do it, he probably did more watching then helping but give him an A for trying. We all have to start form some point. Sounds to me like the experience was overwhelming and is something he will always remember. Childhoods need a little fiction to make them memorable.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

As much as I loooved cars my parents would never let me work on them. When I was 6 years old I wanted to rebuild an engine but got grounded instead. To satisfy my craving for oil covered metal I would sneak down at night and work on the family car. The first night I snuck downstairs after bed time and removed the crank. During the day I reground it .10 under and when dad got home from work I slipped it back in without anyone knowing...Dad did say the car ran kinda funny...I soo thought I was busted....Each day I would remove one car part to refurbish during the day only to replace it after dinner while everyone was to busy to worry about what I was doing. One day I loosened the drivers side headbolts so I could just lift the head up enough to slip the piston back in and mom caught me...She asked what I was doing and I just turned the piston upside down and told her I was emptying the ash tray....~WHEW!!!!~Years later me and dad had a big talk and it turns out he liked cars too but mom didn't want any of us working on them. Dad was a proctologist and he told me he had a trick of backing the car up to the garage and rebuilding the engine through the exhaust so mom wouldn't find out!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.