How old were you when .... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2004, 06:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

How old were you when ....

How old were you guys when you built / built-up your first engine??? I'm just kinda curious because I'm being talked about in another forum because I'm only 15 and yet I know more about engines than most of them do (I think they're jealous, lol) .....

I was 12 when I built-up my first engine and it was a 1983 Ford Pickup 302 that my brother and I were putting into a 1993 Ford Ranger "Splash" ... It ended up dyno-ing 433 hp and 442 lb ft of torque to the flywheel.

Tag, you all are it......

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

That sounds a little more than optimistic on the dyno figures...dude.

I have Trick Flow Track Heat heads and the .542"/.563" lift cam. Roller rockers etc., etc.... I know it is at least 375 hp and I would be surprised if it actually dynoed in at 400 hp.

Now I am going to go out on a limb here and say that if your engine did make that much power, that you wouldn't have that much torque to go along with it. My engine is super peaky where I am at. My 5.0s heads flow more than my Chevy 400s Sportsman II heads. I would think at the 433 hp mark your torque would drop off way below 442 lb./ft.

I could be wrong but based on my experience that is what I would figure.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:38 PM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:

I'm 15 and built my 355 SBC (Dynoed @548hp I have the charts) . I started out small with lawn mowers, ATV's , Go karts. I learned basically everything from hanging out in the shop watching my dad and his buddys. Before I was into cars I was hardcore into 2 strokes (dirt bikes, quads..) I really like to port and polish 2 stroke engines and I'm very good at it. I'm kinda out of the atv, dirtbike intrest and into cars now, I think it got started when I took a ride in a 9sec street car, another reason is I can't stand the dirtbike crowd, car guys are really good people.. It's all about the time and work not the money.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:09 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by GearHead69
I'm 15 and built my 355 SBC (Dynoed @548hp I have the charts) . I started out small with lawn mowers, ATV's , Go karts. I learned basically everything from hanging out in the shop watching my dad and his buddys. Before I was into cars I was hardcore into 2 strokes (dirt bikes, quads..) I really like to port and polish 2 stroke engines and I'm very good at it. I'm kinda out of the atv, dirtbike intrest and into cars now, I think it got started when I took a ride in a 9sec street car, another reason is I can't stand the dirtbike crowd, car guys are really good people.. It's all about the time and work not the money.

I was and still am poor, I had to put togeather my own go kart
with junky parts, nobody was going to buy me one!
I learned from the local lawnmower man about engines, and
read a lot of car mags and asked a lot questions.
my dad dosn't know enough about engines to teach me.

And I'm with you GH69, I can't stand those chuckelhead kids
with the dirtbikes. I have a YZ250 but wouldn't race/jump it.

I like you CPickupGuy, but braging will not make you any frends
here.

And another thing, it would help us, or at least me, if you new guys put your name at the bottom of your post.

Shane.
77 Chevy truck.
85 Honda Prelude.
37 Willys sedan.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:24 PM

When I was 16 I rebuilt the 283 SBC in my '47 willys CJ2A jeep using early Corvette parts. 283 Vette engine, 2000 lbs., 5.38 rear gears....wicked!
Old 02-14-2004, 10:59 PM

Warning: This post is for entertainment purposes only! If any of the engines described in this article actually existed they would have been built/owned by someone who actually knew what they were doing/talking about...........
Old 02-14-2004, 11:13 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

lol

i was 18 when i did my first vw motor.
im 32 now, and am patiently trying to figure out why my first completely rebuilt by me v8 isn't getting fire.....
Old 02-15-2004, 12:22 AM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

Well, my first rebuild...o.k. -- O.K.... RERING!! Was when I was 16. A 235" 6cyl., the cylinders were Bad worn but I cut the ring ridge, honed 'em out and put new rings, bearings, gaskets, and PAINT!! Boy, was I proud!! That danged thing had so much blowby that it would hold all the oil in the valve cover after about 5 min. at 70m.p.h.!!!! The oil pressure would drop to 0 and the bottom would get noisy, I had to let off and coast so that the oil would drain back to the pan and the pressure would come back up!! Now, THAT was a real learning experience!
Old 02-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

So, you want to build up and engine?

You do have pictures and the dyno sheet, don't you? Lets see them so we can all marvle at them .

now its your turn kid.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 02-15-2004, 07:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I was 3 years old. One night my parents got out of bed, only to find me in the garage assembling a 440 Chrysler. It just came to me as a gift. That engine won superstock eliminator that year and they took me to the local repair shop to work as a slave until I was 18 (true story, really!)
Old 02-15-2004, 07:54 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

not to say the truth was stretched so thin that it makes saran wrap look thick,but the last time i looked at crate engines for sale, the naturally aspirated 302 topped out well under 400 h.p.
Why do you think even chevy guys don't build a 305 they build 350's.
as for this board, we all love a good story, but to gain respect and to have your posts taken seriously,you have to be upfront with particulars,and don't embelish it beyond belief.
everyone on this forum will help you beyond what any other stranger will do for you.all you need to do is ask, truthfully.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:56 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I won't comment too much on this, as I seem to be the person that ticked this kid off in the 1st place.....
Maybe, he had reason to take offence, maybe not....take a look.

http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34182

By the way, my 1st rebuild was a 396 from a Chevelle that my dad told me not to buy. He was right, the rings had broke and scored 2 cylinders. Had to sleeve them. Did it in my dads basement (no garage). Had lots off fun getting it up and down those stairs.

Budget RVs
Old 02-15-2004, 07:59 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

you big fat hairy liar

nairb, the last time you told that story, they let you go when you were 16. lol mike
Old 02-15-2004, 08:16 AM

Last photo:

I don't mean to add fuel to the fire so to speak. Anyway a 302 with very good aftermarket heads, way too much compression and a short solid roller cam would generate those numbers. It would not be using pump gas and would most likely have to run on methanol because of the cylinder pressure generated.

That said, I would like to see the dyno sheet and parts list for the 500+hp 350. It is possible. But not in any way would it be reasonable for a street engine.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:34 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

I built my first motor when I was 6 years old, in my upstairs bedroom. It was two four cylinder blocks welded together.
With duel overhead cams, sixteen valve Hymie. and twin blowers,
fuel injected. hummmm, I think that was in 1946. It dynoed 12,000 horses before it broke the dyno.

Don Gartless wanted it, so I gave it to him, if he could get it out of the house without mom knowing about it. He cut a hole in the roof and used a helicopter to get it out. He put it in the swamp rat dragster, and set several world records, and won the NHRA title that year.

Troy

This is the dump isn't it??

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.