How to paint engine bay - Bare metal and paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 09:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to paint engine bay - Bare metal and paint

I'm getting ready to paint my engine bay so I can put the cab back on my truck. Right now there is bare metal on the new wheel wells and paint on the firewall. I plan on sanding everything well with 320 and that's where I get stuck. I've tried searching through old posts, but I'm kind clueless on this, so if someone has any insight it'd be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get a pretty good finish.

Do I need to use etching primer on the bare metal or can I use just use an epoxy primer over everything? Then I'd like to use a high build primer so I can block everything out nice. Then base and clear...or can I use single stage? By the way I'm painting it silver. Does any of this sound reasonable?

I'd like to use the PPG Omni line for bugdet reasons so could someone please point me in the right direction. I'm going to have someone else paint the rest of the truck, but I just need to get the engine compartment done so I can get the cab on the frame. Here's a pic of what I'm working with.

Thanks, Jordan Schulze
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enginebay.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	14970  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2006, 10:22 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

As far as prepping it, I would go with epoxy on everything and then 2K high build primer to sand smooth. I am not familiar with the Omni line, so can't suggest on what their products are capable of doing, or their price. I use SPI products, and their epoxy is a great base on bare metal, and is also super for a sealer over other paints. You can use either Single Stage or BC/CC in that area. I believe that the BC/CC would hold up longer, but SS would work.

Aaron
Old 09-17-2006, 11:05 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I agree. Use epoxy primer, especially on bare metal, and then a good filling primer over everything for sanding. PPG's Omni line has both an epoxy primer and a good filling primer so just go with them and you should be fine.

I would use Omni's MP 170 epoxy primer and then go with MP 282 high build primer for sanding.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the quick replies...

Now I won't look like an idiot going to the paint store tomorrow

Thanks, Jordan
Old 09-17-2006, 09:06 PM

paint engine bay

i would also sand the bare areas with a rougher grit. i use 80 so as to get deep scracthes fpr the epoxy to grab.
keith
Old 09-17-2006, 09:59 PM

Last photo:

Only thing I'll add since the others already gave you good information is I would use bc/cc. Silver met is usually one of the tougher color to spray even, specially in single stage and a cheaper line of paint. Also what is the painter going to use painting the outside. If he is using bc/cc you may want to use that for match, and the same line of paint.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.