How are pre-1940 roofs insulated for sound and heat? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 11:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How are pre-1940 roofs insulated for sound and heat?

The lame-brain cheap-skate that installed the headliner in my 37 Plymouth, P-4 Sedan did not install any insulation or sound deadener before installing the head liner. And I have to admit, I was the lame-brain that bought the car that way. I have investigated removing the headliner and have concluded the headliner cannot be saved if it is removed. So, assuming I can find a matching material for the headliner, what material should I purchase to deaden the incredible drum sound and insulate the roof? What is a good source to purchase the materials and can they provide instructions for a rookie to be able to install the stuff? Thanks for your advice.

I live in Michigan. I plan to drive to the GoodGuys show in Lowes Speedway in late October. Are there any kewl places along the way that I should consider visiting?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 12:05 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

if it is a bow roof it can be removed and replaced. i like lizzardskin but there are many different kinds. just remember what ever you put up there has to stay if you glue it up and it falls you'll be removing the headliner again.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I like Dynamat. It's not the cheapest stuff around but it works very well and in my opinion is worth the price.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Stuck in the 30's

Last journal entry: Back in the saddle again - almost
Last photo:

Check out Insulshield Technology 781-749-4971. They have it all. I used all their products in my 33 Plymouth. Did the entire interior floor, roof, firewall, sides, Heat insulation, panel deadeners, etc.

Less expensive than Dynamat.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd37
The lame-brain cheap-skate that installed the headliner in my 37 Plymouth, P-4 Sedan did not install any insulation

I live in Michigan. I plan to drive to the GoodGuys show in Lowes Speedway in late October. Are there any kewl places along the way that I should consider visiting?
Ya, I need good insulation myself. Just started a thread about it.

Shoot down I 75 toward Louisville, KY.

Wright Patterson Air Force Base Museum at Dayton. one LONG day, and you won't see it all. needs 2 days to actually see 75% of it. Excellent history.

Stop in the Bardstown KY area 30 mi south of Louisville KY to see the whiskey museum and breweries in the area. Jack Daniels, etc. A FULL day but much more interesting than you think.

Mammoth Cave National Park near Bowling Green, KY, the home of the Corvette Museum and Holley's headquarters. 120 mi south of Louisville Ky.
one full day of exercise at the cave, 1/2 day for Corvettes, Holley, etc.

a nice 150 mile drive east on 2 lanes, or toll way to......

Cumberland Gap at the west tip of Virginia, couple hours. If you're into warbirds, the brand new P-38 they took out of the Greenland Ice floe lives at Middleboro, KY air museum.

Oak Ridge, (west Knoxville) TN has the National Museum of Science and Energy, this is where some NUKE stuff got developed.

Gatlinburg/ Severville / Dollywood/ Clingman's Dome highest in TN 6400 ft./ Cades Cove, near Gatlinburg, TN. just east of Knoxville, TN. At least TWO days in Gatlinburg stores and doing the stage shows at PigFor. (the Eastern Branson) playing tourist.

and the entire western tip of NC for Smoky Mts. view. Most all day.. 40 mph!!! driving mountains... check it out for tourism beauty. Good tree color about then.

only 60 milies to.... Hendersonville/ Asheville, NC. tourist area, another day there

then only 80 miles to Charlotte NC.....

That ought to keep you busy for 2 weeks....

been there, done these...

had to figure all this out the hard way, took me 4 trips.... LOL.... glad to share my experience with you.

Have fun.
x
Old 10-10-2005, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to map out a stop or two. Only have so much time off from work, ya know.

You going to Charlot at the end of the month for the GoodGuys show?
Old 10-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd37
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to map out a stop or two. Only have so much time off from work, ya know.

You going to Charlot at the end of the month for the GoodGuys show?
naw.... 600 miles... wish I could,,, and do the whole 2 week tour.
been to several big ones this year though....
in Jan I will probably regret not taking a week off again.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.