How to properly mate a GM pump to a Mustang II rack - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I finally got my Borgeson pressure reducing shim kit installed, I estimated the pressure went from 1150 psi to 1000 psi with the shims. I finally tried it on the road and it works great. The install takes about 15 min on a removed pump, removing pump took some 2 hrs. on my set-up Ed ke6bnl

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2004, 08:31 PM

Last photo:

82-88 T-bird rack

I was just adding a mustang II front end to my 54 chevy and found out that if you use a rack from a 82-88 T-bird it uses the same pressure as a GM power steering pump which saves alot of money on pressure regulators, one place you could see this is Speedway Motors, and there was an article in one of the Streetrodder magazines on this. Hope it helps. A/G WILLYS
Old 10-10-2004, 07:01 AM

i was told that the 1980 and newer racks can handle the pressure. is this true? the older racks do need the reduced pressure.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:01 AM

Last photo:

Re: 82-88 T-bird rack

Quote:
Originally posted by A/G WILLYS
I was just adding a mustang II front end to my 54 chevy and found out that if you use a rack from a 82-88 T-bird it uses the same pressure as a GM power steering pump which saves alot of money on pressure regulators, one place you could see this is Speedway Motors, and there was an article in one of the Streetrodder magazines on this. Hope it helps. A/G WILLYS
I wrote
I finally got my Borgeson pressure reducing shim kit installed, I estimated the pressure went from 1150 psi to 1000 psi with the shims. I finally tried it on the road and it works great. The install takes about 15 min on a removed pump, removing pump took some 2 hrs. on my set-up Ed ke6bnl

this was on a 84 T-bird rack. I went from no feel of the road to a reasonable feel and better control, but other may like the way it was. Ed ke6bnl
Old 10-11-2004, 05:01 PM

Last photo:

P.S. MII Racks

You can buy the pressure reducer valves here as well... www.carolinarodshop.com
Old 10-19-2004, 11:01 AM

Last journal entry: On the way to get worked on in KC
Last photo:

It is my understanding that the later model (79-85) Mustang power racks do not have the pressure problem. I have one of these on my 38 Chev and I installed the pressure reducing valve from RB's. Simple install since the pump was not installed yet.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

what do you folks think

I have a brand new rack that is supposed to be used on 79 and later MII frontends. Not the super sensitive rack but a normal feel rack. Do I need the pressure kit or not?
Old 10-19-2004, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by cornfieldcars
what do you folks think

I have a brand new rack that is supposed to be used on 79 and later MII frontends. Not the super sensitive rack but a normal feel rack. Do I need the pressure kit or not?
You could always add the pressure control later and try it the way it is. My 1984 tbird rack with the gm pump and mustang II had little to no feel, it just turned with no resistance till I added the kit from borgeson about $16 plus shipping. Ed ke6bnl
Old 10-19-2004, 04:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
To begin with you have a '79 Mustang rack not a Mustang II rack. Second there is no such thing as the super sensitive rack. The reason the Mustang II rack is super sensitive when used with the GM pump is because of the difference in designed operating pressure.

When it comes to your rack I believe if you check you'll still find that the Ford rack is designed to work at a lower pressure than the GM pump puts out in stock form. I believe you'll still want to reduce the pressure on the GM pump to get it to "feel" right on the road.

Centerline
Old 10-20-2004, 06:18 AM

Last photo:

Okay...it's Mustang rack. But I was told by several people that there are two different racks used. ONe that is more sensitive than the other and when i order to make sure I got the less sensitive one.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Okay...it's Mustang rack. But I was told by several people that there are two different racks used. ONe that is more sensitive than the other and when i order to make sure I got the less sensitive one.
You are correct that for the Fox body Mustang there are two different racks. A performance rack and a standard rack. So you would want to reference the standard rather than the performance rack when ordering parts. Keep in mind though that if the Ford unit (standard or performance) is designed to work at a lower pressure than the GM pump (and I suspect it is) the unit will feel somewhat "sensitive" on the highway without reducing the pump output pressure.

Centerline
Old 10-20-2004, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Yes, I do have the standard rack. After reading some of the previous posts I was just beginning to wonder if a new rack could handle the pressure. I am going to be ordering the pressure kit next week. Thanks all.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:47 AM

Last journal entry: Project garage complete!
Last photo:

What is the number of turns for the Mll early rack and the late T-Bird ?
I am changing my Mll rack that I placed in 1991 to a TRW rack that is for a T-Bird. The Mll rack had just two turns lock to lcok and the new rebuilt TRW has just about three turns lock to lock. I also had to elongate the Right side mounting hole a bit as it did not match the old rack. This set up is on my 55 1st GMC with the GM pump. When we built this set up in 91 no one offered these fancy pressure shims so we found three or four old GM pumps and took the valves out and removed the shims and added a ?number of them to my valve to reduce the pressure!
Did it work, I think so as I drove it everyday for 10 years 100Kmiles and all it did was leak and the feel of the road was a bit twichey but just like being hung with a new Rope ....You Get Used to It.
I cant wait to get the NEW truck (Rebuilt and Painted old truck) back on the road to see what the diffewrence is !!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:57 PM
1950 Ford Custom

Last journal entry: 1950 Ford Custom work in progress
Last photo:

I work at the Delphi Saginaw Plant where this pump was born. It would be possible to change the pressure valve with another pump if you knew what you wanted.

You may notice all of our new pumps and steel resiviours have a "chrome like" look (2004 - on). If you pick up a new one from our aftermarket group it will add a bit of bling.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:23 PM

Last journal entry: Project garage complete!
Last photo:

We did not change the valve itself we unscrewed it and added a number of shims in the middle b4 we put it back together.
When you mentioned the new pumps are the mounting locations in the same place and the hose fittings the same as the old pumps, and how about the pulley location?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.