How to properly mate a GM pump to a Mustang II rack - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 01:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Someone at a car show said that the newer mid to late '80"s mustang racks use the same bolt pattern as mustang 2 and they run at about 750 PSI. I don't know if thats true but if it is thats the way to go. Any body heard of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2004, 03:20 PM

I bought my MII power rack off ebay, it was a rebuilt rack. I purchased a Mullins steering/Borgeson kit #899001 and installed directions said about 4 shims, my pump had 4 shims already so I added one.(pump also off ebay) . You talk about sensitive it was squirrelly and scary. Pulled valve again and added shims a total of 7 shims, now has reasonable feel do not know actual pressure have no way of reading. Zeke
Old 12-01-2004, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by lamothe1
Someone at a car show said that the newer mid to late '80"s mustang racks use the same bolt pattern as mustang 2 and they run at about 750 PSI. I don't know if thats true but if it is thats the way to go. Any body heard of this?
I am using a rebuilt 84 t-bird rack and have it set according to the shims from the Borgesen kit about 1000 psi and it work great. I had less shims and about 12oo and had no feeling and it was a little scary. Ed ke6bnl
Old 12-01-2004, 04:38 PM

Last journal entry: Project garage complete!
Last photo:

Ed,
How were you measuring the PSI!
Old 12-01-2004, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by solidaxel
Ed,
How were you measuring the PSI!
I am going by the paper work Borgeson gave with the kit. it gave you an idea of the psi with the differant washer spacers they provided. My lines are so short and compact I am unable to get a pressure gage in there. I had Nampa custom make the hose from gm to ford rack. Ed ke6bnl
Old 12-01-2004, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

Ed, can you post that information from Borgeson
Old 12-03-2004, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

HEDONITE,
You mentioned Delphi, I was talking to a rebuilder of R&P here and he was telling me that the only way to change anything with a power Rack was to change the tension on the Torsion tension spring on the rack, what do you know about that. He said he had to do that for people that needed a lighter feel for handicap vans. Ever heard of that method. He also said that changing the shims on the releif valve in the pump made NO difference. He then proceeded to show me a rack that was apart and this 4 to 5" torsion bar that was in the center of the rack and what he did was turn it down(dia) to make the feel lighter. Just wondering !!
Old 12-05-2004, 07:38 AM

Mullins instructions

From Mullins instructions:
"Pressure Chart
The following chart is for reference only different pumps may vary pressures. Mustang rack and pinions generally require Approx 1000PSI.
No Shims 1350PSI
1 Shim 1200PSI
2 Shims 1100PSI
3 Shims 1000PSI
4 Shims 850PSI
5 Shims 700PSI"
Note: these shims are in addition to the shims already in a stock pump according to Tom at Mullins.
Zeke
Old 12-06-2004, 12:21 AM

Cool Power steering Pump

Flaming Rivers sells a kit with a pump and power rack for this application.
It is well worth the cost because I no longer move right when I look right like before with a so called pump presser kit.
I have about 70k mles and no leaks.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:21 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

solidaxle, that is one way to reduce the feel of a rack. You can change the shuttle valve in a Saginaw steering box to reduce/increase feel also. But the pressure going in makes a huge difference! I don't know what that guy was thinking!! When you turn your engine off is the power steering harder? That's because there is NO pressure! Hydraulics works by pressure, so reducing/increasing makes a noticeable difference. There's 50-100 psi difference in the AMCs between a big V-8 car and a small six car, so it doesn't take a whole lot of pressure to be noticeable.

As for the newer racks being less sensitive -- my 63 Rambler Classic (about the same size/weight as a 64-65 Chevelle or Fairlane) has an 86 T-bird rack. It's a bit skittish on the interstate -- don't take your hands off the wheel! Reducing pressure is my first project when I get back (I'm USAF on a one year tour in South Korea right now, only 2.5 months to go!!). I still need to fix the speedo (heck, I drive about as fast as I want to anyway... just don't pass everybody!!) and gas gauge (stop every three hours or so on a long trip or.... and fill up every 4-5 days around home!!)... everything's fine!! But having to pay close attention to the steering driving down the interstate on long trips is tiring -- and you can't look to much at the occasional rod along the way without fear of the ditch or getting a little TO close a look!!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:55 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

This is a OLD thread, but has some GOOD infromation in here,, but the answer to My question is not in there.
So hopefully someone can help

I have a 36 chev, with a 02 Corvette LS-1 with a stock power steering pump driving a 85 T- bird rack, EXCEPT I had to change the pump pully to a smaller pully to get keep the pully from hitting the fender,, I went from a 6 3/4 [ stock 5.7 gm] to a 5 3/8 pully [ off of a gm 3.8 v6] a total of 1.75 differance
which greatly increased the rpm and sensitivity of the pump,, in fact ,, wnen the motor is started and the steering wheel TOUCHED, the wheel jurks out of your hands and cycles from lock to lock violently. untill the motor is turned off,,
I plan on trying the pressure valve kit, but really wonder if that is enough,,
any ideas ??????
Its like driving a tank without P/Steering,,, I am wondering if the valve out of the 3.8 motor would be different???
Old 03-21-2008, 01:49 AM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Wireing
Last photo:

I had the same thing happen, almost took off my fingers. You have the hoses backwards on the rack unit. Sounds crazy but bet you that's the problem!!!! Been there done that. On a GM pump hooked to Mustang 2 rack. Scared the Heck out of me.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:29 AM

Last photo:

I used a MII Rack from TCI and stripped out the Return Port's threads by following the instructions that were included......it said 5/8 x 18 threads on the Return Port but they were in actuallity 3/8 tubing threads. ...which are pretty similar in appearance to each other. Careful.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

O.K maybe a better way to determine which is which on the lines,, on a T/Bird rack,,the connections are possitioned at a angle,, which is the RETURN line?? closer to the front of the rack , or to the rear????
When I had the lines made up,, they used adapters , that fit into the Rack and adapt the hoses to the same size fitting on the hose end,
Old 03-21-2008, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

On mine the Return Port was closest to the steering shaft and the Pressure Port is farther away from it and is 9/16 x 18.
I do not know if all of the MII Racks have the same size fitting but just be careful that you don't strip them....uh....like I did. DOH !

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.