How to properly mate a GM pump to a Mustang II rack - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 12:20 PM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I had to have the hoses special made at a hydraulic hose business and I had to have them remade because I had them back wards and it did exactly what you are saying. If your set up came with hoses I guess they should be right. I don't think it is the pulley because the pump only creates pressure and I would'nt think continue to turn, The control vale in the rack causes the turn. I have lowered the pressure on a Chev standard pump by getting a valve from RB's. It did take out some sensitivity.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 06:04 PM

Last journal entry: Project garage complete!
Last photo:

They are different for a T R W rack and a Ford rack
Old 03-21-2008, 09:19 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

You were right snkbyt,, the hoses were on wrong,, the RETURN port IS the rear port,, closest to the steering input shaft, largest fitting, [this is a 85 T-Bird rack]
I was lucky with the hoses ,, because the guy that made up the hoses gave me the different size fittings, that converted the hose connections to the same size on the hoses,, so everything worked out fine,, other than the trouble I had with the close working room,, my hands are the size of catchers mitts, and don't do well in small openings, but I managed to get-er-done,

The smaller pulley doesn't seem to make any difference as far as the pressure is concerned, it turns very smooth and doesn't jerk at higher rpm,, I havn't had the car on the road yet,, so I will keep my fingers crossed

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it,
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 PM
ASE Master

Last photo:

WOW, I finally got ONE right. LOL
Old 03-22-2008, 05:32 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=snkbyt]I If your set up came with hoses I guess they should be right. QUOTE]

That's what I thought !....I received hoses with the rack and they were wrong! I even called the vendor who as skeptical.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergusonic
I used a MII Rack from TCI and stripped out the Return Port's threads by following the instructions that were included......it said 5/8 x 18 threads on the Return Port but they were in actuallity 3/8 tubing threads. ...which are pretty similar in appearance to each other. Careful.
Ferusonic,

What did you do to fix the stripped threads? I have one that is stripped also. Wondering what my options are besides tossing it out.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 AM

Last photo:

I called my vendor and told him that I used HIS Hoses w/ HIS fittings and that the MII threads on the Return port stripped. (At that point in time I did not know that the fitting on the hose was the wrong threads). I returned the stripped MII unit back to him and he was generous enough (and I was lucky enough) that he replaced it for shipping costs only. When I received the new one; I took it all to a Hydraulics house and the old-timer there figured it out real quickly. Most MII rack vendors will say that if you strip it; it's yours. I can tell you that the wrong fitting would thread into the MI unit about 1 -2 turns before it started getting snug. I thought that was normal ....but NOT.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:45 AM

Last journal entry: Project garage complete!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergusonic
I called my vendor and told him that I used HIS Hoses w/ HIS fittings and that the MII threads on the Return port stripped. (At that point in time I did not know that the fitting on the hose was the wrong threads). I returned the stripped MII unit back to him and he was generous enough (and I was lucky enough) that he replaced it for shipping costs only. When I received the new one; I took it all to a Hydraulics house and the old-timer there figured it out real quickly. Most MII rack vendors will say that if you strip it; it's yours. I can tell you that the wrong fitting would thread into the MI unit about 1 -2 turns before it started getting snug. I thought that was normal ....but NOT.

Just ran across the SAME problem two days ago........ the rack came with fittings and hoses, but the fittings and the rack (Ford) were just about the same size, and now the high pressure is stripped!!!! We have not contacted the supplier (the big guy) and asked about this problem, but after reading your post I think it is worth a phone call and maybe the cost of shipping Vs. the cost of another rebuilt rack!!
Is there anyway to save a stripped rack, does anyone have any suggestions!! Is there a supplier of these fittings that take a Ford rack and make it a flared steel fitting for the hoses?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:51 PM
ASE Master

Last photo:

The racks should have a fitting that is a straight pitch thread, not pipe, I think what happens is they are a core return and the fitting was take off. I've had to get the fitting from Ford before and it is a different thread for the hose and has the flare in it. If I remember right there is no flare in the rack without the fitting.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkbyt
The racks should have a fitting that is a straight pitch thread, not pipe, I think what happens is they are a core return and the fitting was take off. I've had to get the fitting from Ford before and it is a different thread for the hose and has the flare in it. If I remember right there is no flare in the rack without the fitting.

Exactly!!! My Rack came from Fatman,, and did not have the flared fittings. I laid out the way I wanted my hose ends lined up and took the whole thing to a supplier that makes up hoses,, [Professional people NOT Parts house guys,,,, they do this everyday, and know the process]
He knew the fittings were required and included them with the hose ,, converted both hose fittings over to the same size,, Thats what threw me off,, [that and a BUNCH of stupidity]
Its all a learning experience guys,, and sometimes expensive,, I was lucky, because The hose fitting sizes were the same, no need for new hoses,,,,,,
Old 03-22-2008, 09:27 PM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:

How to properly mate a GM pump to a Mustang II rack

I have a 38 Chev, TCI IFS, late model PS rack, Chev PS pump.I was told to use Heits PS valve and I used Heits stainless hose kit.The hose kit was great as finding anything to fit was a pain and this made a nice fitting set.I started with the valve closed and adjusted it as per instructions.I finally totally unscrewed the adjusting nut and put it back on with 2 turns and did up the lock nut.Steering is better, but car is scarey over 50.
I have a CE rear suspension and sway bars front and back.I find the car rides like it did originally, very hard and feels unstable.I have 150 miles on the car and hoping the springs will soften.
With the coin I have in this PS setup I hate to go to a manual rack,but that might be the solution.What is a fat fendered car like with 60 series tires on the front,to park or drive slow? I met a few guys who said thier cars were too hard to steer with manual racks, so I went PS.Will a PS pump shim kit in addition to my valve solve steering senstivity for sure?? Cisco
Old 03-22-2008, 11:58 PM

Last photo:

You basically have the same suspension I have in the 36, the rear leaf's have buttons that soften the ride a little, but still a little stiff. I took 1 leaf out [ shortest one] and it really helped,,
as far as the steering,, using a late model GM pump,[ NOT the older teardrop style pump] mine is a stock LS1 pump, BUT I used the 85 T-Bird rack, which supposedly works with the GM better, without the use of valves or shims,[ the EARLY MM2 racks are designed for LOWER pressure, ]

I just got my steering figured out after hooking the lines up back wards, which is apparently a common error,, from the replys to this thread,, and it seems to be working great, I drove it today,and it feels great,, even with the smaller pump pulley,,

I also have a 51 chev H/T with MANUAL steering , and it is like driving a tank, really hard to steer [ fine at speed ,, but parking is imposable,, I have just finished installing a air ride suspension on it ,, and it will definitely get power steering
good luck with it Bill
Old 03-23-2008, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCiscoKid
..Steering is better, but car is scarey over 50.
Cisco
I had to add Caster to my setup to get the scarey road speed to diminish. My Heidt's is adjusted about 1 1/2 turns out.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:27 AM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:

How to properly mate a GM pump to a Mustang II rack

How much caster did you have to add?Could I get some specs to check against my allignment please?
My kit came with a newer rack, think most do now.I had to buy a $100 Allan Grove bracket to use my PS pump.Are the newer pumps the ones with the separate resoirvous and how much fuss to mate to a SWP?I asked on this list before as I heard a Toyota pump would work and was told to use the Heits valve,but alone this isn't enough.
Hey, Bad Rat, did your springs soften any with use.I got 150 miles on the car.When you took out the smallest leaf,did it lower the car any?
I'm calling my car a cat rod as I raise Maine Coon cats.Other than flaming cats painted on the car, any ideas for paint?
Cisco
Old 03-23-2008, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

I have around 6 degrees caster. 1956 F100

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.