How to properly mate a GM pump to a Mustang II rack - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008, 01:34 PM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to properly mate a GM pump to a Mustang II rack

Thanks for caster *, think mine was set a 2*.Cisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 12:03 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

[QUOTE=
Hey, Bad Rat, did your springs soften any with use.I got 150 miles on the car.When you took out the smallest leaf,did it lower the car any?
I'm calling my car a cat rod as I raise Maine Coon cats.Other than flaming cats painted on the car, any ideas for paint?

Removing the leaf did lower it just a little maybe a 1/2 inch,, but helped the ride quality alot,, you could probably take 2 out if its really stiff,, just play it by ear,[ well maybe feel]

Mine is Chrysler Cool Vanilla,, the off white coor,, but we put some Platuneum pearl in the paint.. which made it a little matallic, then did a narrow gold leaf and tan pinstripe around the car at the body line,, and a little stripping around the taillights,, these pictures were taken before the pinstriping was done
As for yours,, I think ,, just go wth what you like,, personally I like clean uncluttered paint jobs,, especally on this style car,, its all in what ever taste you have,, a 38 chev has some pretty good lines for 2 tone paint,,

Look in some magazines for ideas,,,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0163-1.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	28782   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0166-3.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	28783  
Old 03-26-2008, 02:56 PM

Last photo:

Ok,,, as I mentioned.. I fixed my screwup with getting the hoses hooked up wrong,, but now after I have been able to drive the car, and see how its going to react to the smaller pully, I think the steering is fine at slower speeds ,, but at about 40-45 it feeks a little quick,,
I checked into the valve idea, and found that that particular valve is designed for the O-ring type pumps,, Early GM,, I am using a 02 GM pump,, off of a camaro, the valve won't work with this pump..
Anyone have any Ideas, or know of a valve that will work,,??
Old 03-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Is there anything you can do to get clearance for the proper size diameter pulley? Cut a notch or something? I think that would solve your problem. I also understand that there is a kit available for the built in pressure valve in your pump.....the kit as I understand it consists of several different springs and shims to use to either decrease or increase the pump pressure.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

There isn't any way the bigger pulley would work with out taking a big chunk out of the fender,, so after a bit of checking,, I found a soluation to my problem , No one makes a valve that will work with the newer GM pumps, EXCEPT Heidts,,[ which will work with ANY pump] they have a patent on an ADJUSTABLE valve,, simular to the brake adjustable valve used to adjust the bias between the front and rear brake systems that came out a few years back [ I could never get them to work properly] any way this valves is plumbed into the pressure side supply line and has a return line also plumbed for the return line,, it can be adjusted all the way down to the equivalant of a manual rack,
This headache pill cost 79$ not including the fitings to adapt it thats another 49$,, but if it will solve the problem,, its worth it,, especally since I ain't paying for it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PS-101.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	28843  
Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM

Has anyone ever used a Ford pump bolted to the Chevy block - there must be an adaptor somewhere.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:38 AM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:

re: How to properly mate a GM pump to a Mustang II rack

I have the Heits PS valve,to get pressure down I had to completely unscrew the valve and put it back on 1 1/2 turn and did up lock nut.I used their hose kit ,$200, but was easy to do and made nice lines.
I also checked my front end alignment, as I suggested using a 67 Mustange measurement, turns out they couldn't get any positive caster, so it's slightly negative. I don't know what to do as I might have to cut the IFS off and have it rewelded. Cisco
Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

I just had to turn my adjustment out about 2 1/2 turns,, works great,, at both low and highway speeds,,
I understand that the later T-Bird racks [mine is a 85]are designed for more pressure than the earlier 74-78 mustang racks, I measured the tires at a specific point front and rear before removing the tires when disassembling the front end. and reassembled it with the power rack to the same measurements and then took it to the alignment shop,, and he didn't have to change anything,,[got lucky]

Now if I can just get the howling out of the rearend,,,,
Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 AM
36 Chevy Low Cab

Last journal entry: C4 IRS
Last photo:

Borgeson GM Pump Pressure Kit

Just got part number for Borgeson for anyone that needs it.

Part # 89001

Dave G
Old 11-19-2008, 01:11 PM
The Hose Guy!

Well I noticed I'm a little behind on this one, but I would like to give a little info that I've learned from KRC Power Steering on this.

The psi of a pump is the pressure relief the pump will go to and when you change the psi it doesn't effect the steering. Most pumps on the market have around 1050 to 1200 psi pressure relief, but they only put out about 30 psi by themselves. Where the pressure comes from in the system is the servo when it's opened and closed. If you want to change the feel of the steering you change the amount of flow. Most after market pumps put out 3 gpm which sometimes is to much for a street driven car. I do know that KRC can change the flow fitting from 1 gpm to 3 gpm with their 8 different flow fittings. They have also run into some issues with Mustang II racks that have been softened that it makes it very difficult to get the feel back.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:36 PM
This is what it's all about

Last journal entry: Underbed Panel for 1940 Ford Pickup

I've heard that with the PS valve shim kit there is a rise in the temperature of the PS pump. Is this true, and will this become a problem for the pump? I'm running the early (teardrop) GM pump with a power MII rack (2.5 turns rack-to-rack). I installed a Speedway fitting on the back of the pump that screws-in and reduces the flow from 3 GPM to 2 GPM. I don't notice that the '40 Ford PU is "twichy", but then, I steer with both hands. There's absolutely no road feel of the road at all. No fluid leaks anywhere and it's great compared to the manual rack I had in before. However, I wouldn't mind some resistance in the steering.

One other problem that I'm having is trying to get enough positive caster. I salvaged OEM support arms and spindles from a donor '78 MII. I combined this with the bolt-in Chassis Engineering front crossmember. All rebuilt and rebushed and installed. I went to get an alignment and they couldn't get enough positive caster. I called CE and asked if it would be OK to lengthen the slots for the T-bolts, and they said it wouldn't hurt anything. Anyone had experience with this?

Last edited by Elder Rodder; 10-31-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Elder Rodder,

It okay to lengthen the slots to get more positive caster. I did it in my '40 Pickup also. As for the power steering, I just cut my tension spring about 3/8" and it feels just find.

Didn't know that you hung out here too, ALittle40!
Old 10-31-2009, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Thanks..

HI Guys..

Thanks. I am working on a toy here, a old 41 chevy, 78 one ton frame, Century wheel lift wrecker bed.

What I needed you gave me. THE PSI for the steering circuitry. WHAT I want to do? put the HUGE hydraulic pump there on the engine, run a Cheap automatic transmission without the PTO.

I'll rig it up as planned off the engine w-pulley, use a pressure regulator LIKE NORTHERNTOOL sells to adjust the pressure down for the brake hydraulic booster and steering box. Hydraulic quick Connectors on each end of the truck for accessories. (tractor supply CORP)

You'd be surprised what you can learn by reading irrelevant posts to "YOUR" project huh? More information to use later. Cut and pasted to my project.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:59 AM
This is what it's all about

Last journal entry: Underbed Panel for 1940 Ford Pickup

Hi Little40,

I've wondered about you from time-to-time, and your health issues. Your PU must be all done by now, and running the roads. I'll check out your gallery and see what you've got there since I last visited it.

Thanks for the post about the slots for adjustment on the caster/camber situation. I guess with the power rack you can use all you can get. I was amazed that my PU weighs 3100 pounds with the SB Chevy in it. I'll lengthen the slots for my winter work. Also need to finish the interior this winter. I was interested to hear you say that you cut the spring in the PS pump. I hear of people using shim washer kits to drop pressure with the GM pump to MII power rack, but haven't heard of cutting the spring. Is that decreasing the flow in GPM, giving less power to the rack, and getting it feeling more like a manual one? What does that do to the pressure to the rack? It seems like that would increase pressure if the shimming kit decreases it. Wouldn't that tend to make it leak past the seals? I'm in deep water here, and getting my PS eduction on the run.

I come to this site when I've got something I need to know. Its been a great source for me. It's nice that I got a response on such an old thread, and especially from you.

Thanks,
Elder Rodder

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.