• following that diagram will NOT tell you the lift of a cam

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • the rest of the valve train has everything to do w/ lift @ the cam

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • the rest of the valve train has NOTHING to do w/ lift @ the cam

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • camshaft lift doesnt exist on DOHC cars, only pushrods cause lift

Votes: 0 0.0%

how to properly measure the lift of a cam ? NOW WITH A MULTIPLE CHOICE POLL!!!

14K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BBCMudbogger 
#1 · (Edited)
ok, this debate keeps going on a different forum, the threads even been locked and im getting private messages and even messages through aol debating weather or not im right

simple problem:

a friend went to purchase some reground cams
he measured base circle
he measured overall lobe height
he did some simple math
simple match says LESS LIFT THEN STOCK

the cam was measured in this fashion:

is there any possible way that you can do a-b=c and have a not be the actual lift on the camshaft?

the only reason i can think of is that the cams TOTAL duration is high enough that it interferes with measuring base circle (which definantly doesnt apply in this case)

a variation of this reason is that the person that did the measurements is incapable of operating a set of dial calipers (causing him to accidentaly include one of the ramps in his attempt at measuring the base circle) but said person in this case has machine shop quality control experience

See less See more
#3 ·
Jmark said:
BTW.....very important thing here that should not be overlooked.........DON"T BUY A REGROUND CAMSHAFT!!! LOL
they were cams for a niche market vehical, noone makes new cams, the only options are regrinds or find someone to make a single set of custom billet cams

on a DOHC v6, that seams to be about $1200. or the other option for this car is $550 for a set of already proven regrinds ... and in this case we were considering buying what was said to be one of those sets of regrinds, slightly used, for $250

almost a grand in savings is hard to say no to (except when the specs show that said used cams dont meet the regrind specs, lol)

#5 ·
^^^ nope, your not missing anything, i jumbled the letters somehow, lol

fixed in my original post now, but luckily i had the other description right above the image, removing some of the confusion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.