How to quiet an air compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2006, 11:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How to quiet an air compressor

I thought I had read once before how to make your air compressor quiter but I could not find the thread. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get rid of the noise a compressor makes without hiding your compressor in another room. I really don't think my wife wants to give up the laundry room yet!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 05:43 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

I made this " muffler" for mine it quieted it down probably about in half http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/5...83DSC06641.JPG

Basicly just took some 16ga welded some dividers in some what like on the inside of a car muffler that I seen a cut away view of. Some people have also piped the intake outside or up in the rafters if your garage is finished on the inside..
Old 02-19-2006, 07:16 AM
Motorcycle and Hot Rodding

Well, I started to give out a good type of homemade silencer type muffler, but after I was putting out the instructions on how to do it, I remembered that it may not be a good idea to post it, because it is the same type of process to make a silencer for a gun.

Don't worry, I spent 16 years in Special Forces and we know these things. I just thought that it would be best not to put it in here, being that I could actually be faced with legal charges, due to it being illegal and someone may actually try and make one, but not for an air compressor if you get my drift, but if you have the basics of "know how" you could make a muffler for the air compressor out of the same manufacturing process. Which would make it really quiet.

I can tell you the materials;
Pipe the same size the air compressor port will use 14"-18" long
Some exhaust pipe, (new) the same length as the other pipe
Some washers, made of course, (enough to put one on each end and one at every 1 1/2" interval) made that will fit around the air compressor port pipe and fit inside the exhaust pipe, (the same size inside diameter of the exhaust pipe)
steel wool
and of course, a drill and a 1/4" drill bit
and a welding machine

You will have to figure out the process on your own to make it as I can't post it here as it is illegal to give in detail on how to make it.

If you make it right, your air compressor will be quiet and you will almost not even know it is running.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:39 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

only one way.................put the sob outside!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:34 AM
thewrongshop@yahoo.com

Last photo:

I have got to agree with Shine, outside of the garage is the best
solution and if you have a small shed your half way there or just build one .
Plus it's safer not to have them in the work area .
Old 02-19-2006, 10:22 AM
OldSchool MotorHead

I agree....outside in a shed, with a lightbulb so the condensation doesn't freeze. I'n in New Hampshire and we see outside freeze-ups all the time.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:52 PM

i doubt it would be illegal to describe your "silencer". it would be for an air compressor,and not to be used for a gun. i have seen this on the net before,and all it says is " for educational purposes only".
Old 02-20-2006, 12:08 AM

Last photo:

I have a shed in the back yard that I want to put it into but at this time I don't have the time to dig a trench about 50' long to put the pipe in the ground. Plus I would have buy all the piping and funds are low for that right now since it is so spendy for black pipes at homedepot. I plan on doing this but I am going to start buying the pipes every other payday till I have enough to move the compressor. Figured untill then if there was a muffler or silencer for it I might try that. THanks for the ideas tho.. i think I may try making one myself...
Old 02-20-2006, 01:19 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

what ever you build your muffler out of, make sure its thick enough that the sound doesn't cause the material to vibrate ... the stronger the case the less vibrations will escape, one of the reason cheap car mufflers sound cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarleyMan2
Well, I started to give out a good type of homemade silencer type muffler, but after I was putting out the instructions on how to do it, I remembered that it may not be a good idea to post it, because it is the same type of process to make a silencer for a gun.
the rule is you can TALK about it all you want, you can draw all the blueprints you want ... its only illegal if you build it

Ive seen tutorials on how to build pipe bombs and Ecstasy .... the only illegal part is making them ...

if you built a "silencer" for your air compressor, all you would have to do is modify it enough that a bullet would have to make an impossible turn at one end, and its no longer a silencer ... especially if the hole thru the center is way to big for a bullet ...
Old 02-20-2006, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

There is a book called "The Ultimate Garage Handbook" that I took this suggestion from. I have a 2hp 220v Sears compressor. Horizontal type.

I had a wooden crate that was the perfect dimensions to fit around the compressor. I cut out the bottom and one side that would face the wall. I got some old carpet and stapled it on the wall and rolled down to the floor. I double layered it on the concrete and set the compressor on it. Then I lined the inside of the crate with the old carpet and stapled it in place. I left a hole on the ends to allow air flow through for cooling. I will be putting a durable top (piece of formica counter top if I can get it free or cheap.) I can then use it as an extra workbench top.

It is sooo much quieter now. I don't have any muffler on my intake ports. I will probably add one.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:05 AM

Bwb

I know most people refer to it as a muffler, (making it sound as if it's an
exhaust port) but most people know it's actually an intake port. The thing is
that while your building the muffler you have to remember to build into the
design some way to install a filter into it. Otherwise, dust, gnats, rust flakes
from the inside of the muffler, and the occassional giant mosquito are going to find their way into the compression chamber to reek havoc with the life span of the internals of the pump. Thought maybe this might stop some problems before they got started.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:26 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I remember reading an article years ago in one of the "Popular [Mechanics, Science, something or other]" magazines about a muffler for an exhaust consisting of multiple discs and a rubber sleeve. The pressure of the exhaust would cause the sleeve to swell just enough for the pulse to get past a disc, then it would close behind it as the pulse of exhaust moved on to the next disc. Supposedly drastically reduced the sound with little back-pressure. The big disadvantage, of course, was the lifespan of the rubber sleeve in the heat of the exhaust.

If someone could figure out a way to use the same principle -- smoothing out the pulses, breaking each large intake pulse into multiple smaller ones -- in reverse, it might quiet a compressor's intake.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.