Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   How to remove adhesive (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-remove-adhesive-221474.html)

John long 07-09-2012 11:58 AM

How to remove adhesive

Boy, have I caused myself a headache. When I installed the hood on my 36 Ford Roadster I did not know what type of weather stripping I wanted to use and installed some household stripping on the hood so it would not chip paint. When I was at the Good-Guys in Nashville I picked up some good weather stripping from Steele Rubber. You guys alread know my problem. I can't get the old weather stripping off. I have found nothing that will cut the adhesive. SEM solvent will cut 3M Weather Strip Adhesive but it won't touch this stuff. The car is painted with PPG Concept with 2021 clear.

Any ideas?

John L

BarryK 07-09-2012 12:03 PM

Home depot or Lowes and get some goop (spelling) that should do it and not hurt your paint.
My best guess anyways.

John long 07-09-2012 12:29 PM

Thanks Barry. i joined the forum in February and have read many posts about you and your products. Always positive. I will at some point in time be SPL's newest customer on my next project, what ever that may be. I will give the Goop a try. Thanks again.

John L

deadbodyman 07-10-2012 06:12 AM

That usually works when the others wont ,it takes off all kinds of stuff even dried up road tar with one swipe,I've never seen it damage paint either.

John long 07-10-2012 06:36 AM

On my way to find some GOOP today. Lesson learned. DO NOT USE HARDWARE STORE WEATHER STRIPPING! And yes, I know I am shouting. :nono:

John L

John long 07-12-2012 04:07 PM

Bought some Goo-Gone at Home Depot. I am now a believer and have new hood rubber. Thanks all. Life is good. :thumbup:

John L

Lizer 07-12-2012 04:38 PM

looks like you already found your answer, but I was going to recommend Krud Kutter too. You can buy spray bottles of it anywhere, I have my current bottle from Lowe's.

BarryK 07-12-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 1573247)
Bought some Goo-Gone at Home Depot. I am now a believer and have new hood rubber. Thanks all. Life is good. :thumbup:

John L

That makes me feel better, the recommendation made sense for a latex but I had never used it before, however had talked to shops over the years that had run into a deal like yours and they had.
Hearsay can be a killer but I knew it would not hurt the paint anyways, so glad it worked out.

John long 07-12-2012 04:44 PM

I'll bet they are similar products. It sure was a life saver. I was about to panic when nothing would touch the adhesive. Thanks for the reply.

John L