Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - how to remove cab off frame....
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 01:53 PM
coldpooinapapercup

Last journal entry: the beginning...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Great for you younger guys. But all of my friends (that's YOU Rattler 454) are old geezers just like me. Bad backs, bum knees, hips replaced, pace makers acting up. And a quart of Metamucil is a far more welcome enticement for this gang than a case of beer. Not to mention the fact that trying to organize these retired louts into a work crew is like trying to herd cats.

All that to say, I'd much rather rig up something so I can do it all solo on the day and hour I am ready. For the sedan delivery I made up a framework of 2x6's, fastened the top to my ceiling joists and then used a chain hoist to lift off the body.

However, during the lift-off I quickly discovered that the chain could scratch and mar the body, so while the body was up on stands, I bought a harbor freight winch made for the task. And it worked super when I dropped the body back down on a dolly for painting and then later for picking up the body again and placing it on the chassis. All-in-all I spent far less time making the support posts than I would have spent on the phone trying to organize the work parties needed.

i like the set up. kudos to your cab stands. they look beastly.