Hot Rod Forum banner

how to remove cam shaft?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  62galaxiguy 
#1 ·
oh yeah! just pull it out, right? Well, KMFA! i had to pound on a crow bar under the dist. about 100 times with a mini sledge to get it out. the lifters have no trouble whatsoever staying up a mile out of the cam's way. i left the cam gear on and have tried beating a chisel in between it and the block to no avail. i have beaten :rolleyes: on the cam lobes towards the front and NADA! ('73 PONT. 455) CLUE ME THE F IN!!!!

as always, love and kisses,

sammy d bull

#3 ·
I am going to assume this is an engine that has been sitting a while? If so soak it in diesel fuel for a while, it will come free.

If this was a running engine, then I dont know what to tell you. I do know one thing if you keep beating on it it's not going to be worth a nickel. You keep pounding that wedge between the block and cam gear and that cast iron block is going to break.

#7 ·
retainer plate
yeah! this aint no chevy. my first pontiac engine. and i guess it shows! i was told this on a pontiac board too so i guess there must be a retainer plate behind the frikken sprocket. i didnt beat on it more than 5 minutes, but i still might have to go find another retainer plate.

as for the fuel pump and rod, they come off of the timing chain cover/water pump on a pontiac. jeeze! i feel like such an IDIOT! REtainer Plate? WHO'D A THUNKIT??? :embarrass

#8 ·
bangin and hammerin

nt gonna do you any good if everything that supposed to be disconnected isnt.on my ford 390i had to remove the retainer plate then lifters and the cam still wouldnt budge.i had to spray pb blaster in the cam bearing bores around the bearings to loosen her up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.