How to remove coils from 96 EL Ford Falcon - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2005, 03:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How to remove coils from 96 EL Ford Falcon

Hey
I was just wondering How to remove coils from a 96 EL Ford Falcon? Would I have to get a spring compressor? Do I just undo something? Jack it up etc. etc.? Thanks to all!
Have a good one!
THanks
Troy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

removing coil springs

First jack up the vehicle on stands.
Using your floor jack, jack up the suspension on that corner to relieve the load on the spring. use a spring compressor to collect the spring.
Tie the spring with some good rope and leave the compressor on as well.
Remove a ball joint, preferably the upper one. and gently allow the spindle to swing over to the side.
Slowly let your jack down til the spring loses all contact with the upper spring bucket.
When the lower control arm is bottomed out, remove the spring. To replace the spring repeat this process in reverse.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:07 PM

Hi!
Wow. Thats quite a process lol! Where would I be able to get a spring compressor and for how much? loL! Thanks so much for your reply Max Keith! Really appreciate it!
Thanks
Troy
Old 01-29-2005, 05:27 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

i think this may be what you're looking for http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00947057000
Old 01-29-2005, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

Mashing springs

Check with your local tool rental place or at an auto parts house,and see if they have loners or rental tools. Thats a lot cheaper than buying one.

YW. Springs are a very deadly item when they release from under tension, that is why taking it slow and easy are the bywords.
Getting hit by a spring that suddenly flies out of tension, is very dangerous.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:50 PM

Hi
Nice as Old School Rods. I'll try and track one down! Yeah I've heard lots of stuff bout people being seriously injured from releasing springs. So I'll take your advice and take it very very very easy and slowly. No rushing this job. I'll post a pic of the finished job Thanks all. Also, how do people lower leaves? Have a good one!
Thanks
Troy
Old 01-29-2005, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Lowering Leaf springs

This all depends on whether your rear end is mounted over or under your leaf springs. As a rule cars usually have the axle mounted over the leafs and this makes it a lot easier.
what is required are New U-bolts with the added length to them that you desire to lower the vehicle. IE: a 2 inch drop will require U-bolts 2 inches longer.
First bloc your vehicle on supports under where the rear frame kick up is welded to the frame rail, or in the case of a unibody, at the rear jacking pads.
This does not require jacking up the car, if you are able to get under it otherwise.
Remove the u-bolts that clamp the axle to the leaf springs. one side at a time. Using your floor jack, raise the axle on that corner high enough to put spacers between the axle and the springs.
These are sold under the genaric name of lowering blocks.
After you have installed enough lowering blocks to drop your vehicle the desired height, drop the axle back down on the spacers and install the new U-bolts.
So if you want to lower the rear end by 2 inches, you will need 2 inches thickness of lowering blocks.
You can also make lowering blocks out of scrap slabs of aluminum. Simply get the measurement of the mounting pad on your axle that rests upon the springs and cut the slabs to those dimentions. Half inch aluminum slabs are common to be found at a scrap yard. you will need to dril a hole in at least the bottom spacer to go on the springs as here is a centering lug on the spring. in order to keep all the slabs together and in alignment, I would drill and tap through all of them and using a piece of all thread, screw it down into all but the bottom spacer, then using something like JB Weld or Devcon, glue the bottom spacer to the rest of them. The spring pad on your axle will have a hole in it for the centering lug, so you would want a short bit of the all thread to stick up so it will go into that centering hole. If you elect to use all thread and screw all the spacers onto it, you will want to have them together when you tap the threads or they will not fit together. the alternative would be to smooth bore them and drive a bolt of the same dimension into the hole, grinding the head down so it will fit in the centering hole in the spring pad.

It wont hurt to put a dab of epoxy between each and all of the lowering blocks to cement them together as well.

I would recommend if you fabricate your lowering blocks, that when you epoxy them together, put a C-clamp or some such device around the spacers to hold them together while the epoxy sits up. Probably would be best to do this before you drill them.

A word of caution. Drastically lowering the rear end of your vehicle can throw off your pinion angle in relation to the drive shaft. To correct the pinion angle may require the use of wedge shaped spacers. As long as you dont go more than 2-3 inches you should be ok.

One more item to check out carefully is your drive shaft clearance to the floor tunnel. Lowering the car can cause the driveshaft to rub or hit the floor when going over big bumps.

I personally wouldnt go more than 2 inches maximum, on lowering the rear.

Last edited by Max Keith; 01-29-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:20 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

Becareful with leaf springs too, I have been involved in changings springs on a blue bird school bus (those things wiegh a TON) and we always put a big clamp on them to keep them from comming down and cracking you in the knee. May not be the best method but no busted kneees to report.

Oh boofis I don't know if you have Sears in Austriallia or not (please forgive my ignorance if you do) But that is always a good place to look for quality tools especially to get started

Last edited by oldschoolrods; 01-29-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:06 PM

Hey
Wow! I'm glad I don't own a car with leaves lol!

" A word of caution. Drastically lowering the rear end of your vehicle can throw off your pinion angle in relation to the drive shaft. To correct the pinion angle may require the use of wedge shaped spacers. As long as you dont go more than 2-3 inches you should be ok.

One more item to check out carefully is your drive shaft clearance to the floor tunnel. Lowering the car can cause the driveshaft to rub or hit the floor when going over big bumps.

I personally wouldnt go more than 2 inches maximum, on lowering the rear."

Is that rule just for leave springs? Or Coils aswell? Thanks for that description, it will come in handy if I get the Toyota SR 5 Ute down the road! Na Old School, as far as I know we don't have sears loL! Thats always ok! loL! But I"ll look for something along those lines! Thanks all! have a good one! LoL! ANother question! Is it true that some mags won't fit because of the suspenion or something? It doesn't clear it. I've just heard of that but not sure whether its true! And why are mags so expensive :'(!
Thanks
Troy
Old 01-29-2005, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

lowering blocks

2 inches is just a guideline I was taught several years ago and have just used it as referance.

Mainly on the rear.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:12 AM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

1996 Ford Falcon EL

Last edited by yesgo; 01-31-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

96 EL Falcon

Nice looking car. Wish we could get those over here.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:30 PM
im the guy you lost to.

when i lowered my truck, it came with guide lines much like max keith described. i have leaf springs on muine and used shackles. and the coils on the front actually broke the rope i used... almost a mess up. luckily all i had to replace was a pair of underwear.lol...
Old 01-30-2005, 09:50 PM

Last photo:

dropping your car

The biggest limitation to dropping your vehicle is clearances on chassis, body, and suspension parts. You could lower a vehicle til youre metal to metal but thats not good.
Good thing for spare undies, and good thing you didnt have to wear the other ones to the hospital.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:15 PM
im the guy you lost to.

Re: dropping your car

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Keith
The biggest limitation to dropping your vehicle is clearances on chassis, body, and suspension parts. You could lower a vehicle til youre metal to metal but thats not good.
Good thing for spare undies, and good thing you didnt have to wear the other ones to the hospital.
aint that the truth! with that said, what does a 96 falcon look like, i couldnt download the pics on here for some reason.... would it be possible for you to send me some pics to my email?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.