Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - how to remove tach drive from distributor ?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 11:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

how to remove tach drive from distributor ?

Hi All,
I recently picked up a stock GM distributor with the mechanical tach drive take-off. I know it's a mid sixties Corvette app, but I don't know specifically what year as the ID band is missing.

Anyway ~ I want to go through the distributor before running it and have been told I have to unscrew the brass tach drive take off before I can remove the distributor drive, but how ?

The threaded brass connector has a flat blade screwdriver slot across it's face, but since the tach drive cable enters in the center of this connector, there is a big gap in the center where there is no slot, and consequently none of the flat blade screwdrivers or impact bits are wide enough to reach across this gap.

I thought I was clever by taking stainless flat washer & cutting it in half, so that the edge made by the cut was wide enough to reach across to both sides of the slot on the connector. That part worked, but the washer started to bend before the connector started to turn.

I've tried strap wrenches on the outside of the connector, but it's dia. is so small and it is located so close to the underside of the distributor base that that didn't work.

The only other thing I have thought of is chucking up the wides flat-blade impact bit I have in my drill press, put the distributor in the drill press vise, and turn the bit with a wrench while applying downward force to keep the bit from jumping out of the slot. (I got the idea from an old picture in an article about servicing a generator, where the field coils where held in the case by big flathead screws and the extractor tool looked like an arbor press with a screwdriver blade on the end.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated ~

Daren