Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - how to remove tach drive from distributor ?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 02:49 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Update: how to remove tach drive gear from distributor

I got it out tonight, here's how; ~ ground down one side of a stainless flat washer to effectively create a very wide flat blade screwdriver tip. Then I cut a slot in a 3/8" bolt from the top of the head, through the head and into the shank nearly the diameter of the SS washer when measured from the flat edge. I then tapped the washer down into the slot in the bolt so that the only part of the washer that stood out above the bolt head was the flat edge I ground, about 1/32". Chucked up the bolt (ground edge down) in the drill press, the distributor in the drill press vise, a wrench on the bolt head and applying downward pressure so the home-made wide flathead screwdriver tip wouldn't jump out of the slot, I put a little pressure on the wrench and the tach drive connection came loose almost immediately.

Glad I did too as I found the bottom bushing in the distributor was really chewed up.

Daren