Hot Rod Forum banner

How to remove tailgate on 64 Chevy pickup

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dork 
#1 ·
Anyone have any tips for removing the tailgate on a 1964 Chevy fleetside pickup? I removed the 4 bolts from the hinge plates (2 on each side), but the sheet metal of the bed forms a "channel" that traps the hinge plates and prevents me from pulling it out. I tried just pulling one side up to try and clear, but it's too tight. The manual says to just remove the 4 bolts and remove it, but I can't figure out how!

#2 ·
Tailgate

Lower the gate.....hang it on the chains so it sticks straight out.....go to your local Wal Mart.....park somewhere in the first 10 rows.....SOMEONE WILL REMOVE IT FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......LOL
Sorry.......just feeling like a smart #$^ this morning.
I will look at mine later and see if I can figure it out. Mine needs to come off anyhow, so I may just go ahead and give it a go.

#3 ·
If you can't get just one side to pull up, it sounds like it was built too tight, or maybe old collision damaged.

The fleet bedsides have one weld bead at the top of the rear sill crosspiece. These trucks were built in several plants around the USA, so yours may have different welds.

But you can unbolt the underside of where the fleet side upright "beam" wraps around that lower crosspiece. There should be four 5/16 bolts (on each side of the truck). Two come in from the front, and two from the back. Those should be screwed into welded-on nuts in the crosspiece, so try not to snap them. If you can loosen all 4 on just one side, the top of the bedside "should" be able to spread out a bit, which may give you some more room.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. The "Wal-mart" method is probably the fastest, but I think I'll try the "loosen the 4 bolts" method first and see how that goes. Right now I'm in the middle of replacing the rear brakes on another project, so when I get back to this one I'll let you know how it goes.

#5 ·
I got the tailgate off.

Hi guys,

It took me a really long time to get back to this. Let's just say I had another project, plus I needed to spend some quality time with the grandkids!

Anyway, you gave me the confidence that there was no secret "gotcha" to taking this off, so I lowered the gate and chose a side that would go up and squirted liquid soap in the channel on that side for a little lubrication. Then I pushed down on the other side to get it as low as it would go. Then I pulled up on the lubricated side. It took a little convincing with the prybar, but then it came right out. No need to visit Wal-mart!

Thanks for your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.