How to Remove these Cab Mounts? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I dont know if you really want to remove the cab,I dont think I would Sure thats what you'd do if you were restoring it but if this is your daily driver and you need it, do one side at a time you can jack the cab up quite a bit to get clearance you need for working and you dont have to worry about it squashing your legs its impossible,the cab can only go down about an inch, when the floor hits the frame thats as far as it'll go... Being your a newbie I think you'd have more chance of getting hurt by removing the cab....Dont forget things likethe steering colume and wiring harness will need to be disconnected also...why make a simple litte cab mount job into a big drawn out deal...Of coarse its totally up to you but if it were me I'd just jack up one side ,replace he mounts ,jack up the other side and replace them ,bolt the whole thing down and drive away. still it might take about a week to get R done

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I dont know if you really want to remove the cab,I dont think I would Sure thats what you'd do if you were restoring it but if this is your daily driver and you need it, do one side at a time you can jack the cab up quite a bit to get clearance you need for working and you dont have to worry about it squashing your legs its impossible,the cab can only go down about an inch, when the floor hits the frame thats as far as it'll go... Being your a newbie I think you'd have more chance of getting hurt by removing the cab....Dont forget things likethe steering colume and wiring harness will need to be disconnected also...why make a simple litte cab mount job into a big drawn out deal...Of coarse its totally up to you but if it were me I'd just jack up one side ,replace he mounts ,jack up the other side and replace them ,bolt the whole thing down and drive away. still it might take about a week to get R done
This is true Mike, if ONLY the cab mounts are being changed you are very right. If it's going to be more drawn out, then removing the cab would make things easier. But yeah, that may be a serious overkill.

Brian
Old 07-17-2013, 08:31 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
If it's just a daily driver, leave it on for sure. Drill out spots and plug weld from the top as was already mentioned.

I assumed this to be a rod/restoration project.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
Check these pictures out. I'm sure I could knock these out with an air chisel but I'm not sure that's the best way, I'd sure hate to destroy the floor or inner rocker panels.

What's the best bet to get these out? Also, the bolts, how would I remove these? I'd guess they're rusted on good and the broken off mount parts would spin if I hit them with an impact. Maybe I could hold them from rotating with a vice grips? Check out the pics:

A 90 something dodge truck ????
Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
A 90 something dodge truck ????
2nd Gen Cummins truck (95). You've seen this before?

To my eye, it looks like the welds are right at the seams in patches. Maybe I'll be able to see better once I get the undercoating stripped.

Speaking of undercoating... this truck looks as if it was undercoated and the donor I have (96 1500 V6 Ram that I picked up for $500 for the bed and body parts) is only in paint (no undercoating) and the cab mounts are almost perfect. Could be a coincidence.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

Would it be unwise to cut off the rust on the existing cab mounts (i.e. most of the mounts until you get right up to about an inch from the floor board) and then just weld in new metal to the old mount surfaces to fab up a new mount?
Old 07-27-2013, 04:25 PM

Theres only a few spot welds to drill out,why not do it right its easier...first off the new piece wont fit right and you'll be struggling the whole way and it'll never be right...if you can drill a hole with an electric drill you can drill out a spot weld...and do it right...dont worry we wont let you screw it up...you can do it...
Old 07-27-2013, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Yep. Just pull the seat and carpet and drill from the top.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys, I was thinking about fabbing them from sheet metal and I figured the parts that attach to the body (curves) would be difficult. Thats why I considered just welding to those existing parts. But it sounds like that's not a good idea?
Old 07-27-2013, 04:54 PM

yeah you gotta pull the carpet up anyway.If theres a double layer of steel there and you need to drill them from the bottom ,you can make it real easy by cutting out the outrigger from the frame ,replace the mount then weld the out rigger back on its a lot fasterand easier than working around that thing...just dont loose it. or them
Old 07-27-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
Thanks guys, I was thinking about fabbing them from sheet metal and I figured the parts that attach to the body (curves) would be difficult. Thats why I considered just welding to those existing parts. But it sounds like that's not a good idea?
Making them yourself wouldnt be wise ,replacing them will be hard enough...If you want I can get some good used ones and send them to you...
Old 07-27-2013, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the offer DBM! You guys are helpful! I needed a new bed for this truck so I bought a spare truck with a bad engine and it has good mounts. So I guess I will need to pull those off and weld them in. I've never done this so I am trying to find the best/easiest way. Sounds like taking those mounts would be the best bet. I also didn't want to tear that spare cab up since it's a good cab and someone else could have a need for it possibly. But the mounts are there so I might as well take em.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Why dont you just use that good cab? Probably easier than trying to change the mounts

Budget RVs
Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Why dont you just use that good cab? Probably easier than trying to change the mounts
X2
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

I would if I could but the donor truck is a single cab and the keeper truck is an extended cab. But the mounts that are bad are the ones that are on the single cab.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.